ballast resistor question

Started by Clyde9, November 15, 2008, 10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 4/28/2006 10:47 PM

I can get the engine to run with the ballast jumpered out, but even with a new ballast, it doesn't want to run as soon as I release the ignition switch. Maybe the points?

thanks
brian

Sent: 4/29/2006 9:20 AM

While it doesn't happen often, are you sure the new ballast is ok?  I suppose it could be the points if they were badly pitted (high resistance).  Cold be a bad connection or even a low coil output.

Dave

Sent: 4/29/2006 10:34 AM

Don?t forget there are two ignition circuits. Ignition-1 is for normal running, is connected when the ignition switch is in the -run- position, and supplies 12 volts to one end of the ignition resistor - it is a red wire, #14 gauge. Then there is Ignition-2. This is a separate wire (probably pink) from the ignition switch, that is only getting 12 volts when the ignition key is in the -start- position. It supplies 12 volts directly to the coil, bypassing the resistance of the ign. resistor. So even if the ign. resistor was okay, you could have a bad connection in any connector between the ign. resistor and the ign. switch, a bad contact at the ign. switch, or a burnt wire in that wiring bundle that runs along the drives side of the engine - real close to the exhaust manifold.
Also, the points mount to a plate in the distributor that swivels, to allow for the vacuum advance. This swivel plate has to be grounded to the case of the distributor, by a wire that is small and probably old, even corroded. Poor ground equals weak spark. A bad condenser is unusual, but can also cause goofy ignition problems. When you have the distributor open, pull the rotor off and put a drop of oil or two on the felt wick inside the top of the distributor shaft. This is the only lube your vacuum advance mechanism ever gets.

Sent: 4/29/2006 4:41 PM

Thanks guys, I just looked at the points and they were badly pitted.  I think the ballast was jumpered for a while and maybe this caused the severe pitting. I put in a spare set and it seems to run pretty good.
brian