Universal Fuel Pump replacement for Onan Emerald 1BGE 4kw?

Started by fgutie35, September 04, 2010, 08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fgutie35

I have an Onan Emeral 1 BGE 4KW. The specs for the OEM fuel pump($130.00) are: 4-5.5PSI 34GPH. The Universal pump from Autozone ($44.00) are 4-7PSI 35GPH. Do you guys think it would work? The only thing that concerns me is, that on the installation instruction of the universal, states that I need to place the pump 12' from the tank! and it also mentions that such pump is good at pushing rather thatn pulling fuel. Any Ideas on how to install this pump? or should I bite the bullet and just get the OEM?

ibdilbert01

I've got an Onan BF 4KW, and just replaced mine with a universal NAPA Fuel pump.    Pump is a POSI-FLO Napa brand, about 40 bucks at the counter.

Part Number:                 BK 6101051  (NAPA 610-1051)

Light Weight & Compact, Self-Priming Up To 12" Of Fuel Lift, Integral Fittings For 5/16" I.D.     Fuel Hose Or 1/8"-27 NPT Inserted Hose Fitting, Universal Fuel Pump
Fuel Pump Fitting Size : NPTF 1/8-27 Int.
Fuel Pump Fitting Type : NPTF 1/8-27 Int.
Fuel Pump Gallons Per Hour : 34 gph
Fuel Pump Pressure Rating : 3 - 4.5 psi

It was a direct fit, but looks nothing like the origional.

Pump was easy to install and I've put some hours on it since with no issues.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

fgutie35

Is that a Facet brand? The one I bought is "Mr. Gasket" and it looks just like yours. Only mine is 4-7 PSI. How far away is your tank from the pump?

ibdilbert01

Yes, it is a Facet, and you can buy them with different PSI Ratings.   Mine is about 6 or 7 feet away from the gas tank.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

tiinytina

firstly.... please call Onan directly and get pricing on a pump or perr.com.... any other place is a rip off...   (ie priced bearing other places found it $96... at Onan $6.82...)...  I have same Emerald 1 4Kwt  and my fuel tank is about 2' from it so would be good to know if an after market pump would work but no way to put it 12' away! Other than wrapping a line around the barn and back...  D:oH!

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

fgutie35

Thanks for all the replies. Well I found out that the pump I thought was not pumping enough, was working fine. I did not have to put the universal after all, but I did try it and it work! that is what gave me the Eureka and realized that all this time, I had the pump positioned in the wrong place. The pump is suppose to be positioned with the inlet on the bottom and the outlet on top. Also the fuel line is suppose to come down at a 70 degree angle (that was my problem all this time). I had the fuel line coming horizontally and the pump upside down thinking gravity would help the pump do its job easier. After the correction, all worked well and my genny stayed on.

hose-man

Awesome.    Thank you for posting the solution to your problem.    I can see myself making the same mistake.....      Glad to hear you're running strong now.

DaveVA78Chieftain

If I understood what you did correctly then what you actually accomplished was to provide a means to automatically prime the pump.  The pump is in a low spot such that when turned on it pulled a vacuum on the fuel supply line thereby pulling fuel out of the tank.
Also alwyas be careful about pump size selection.  To big of a pump (4-7psi) can create problems by forcing the needle off the seat.  A 4 - 7psi pump would also need a regulator to bring the psi level back to 4.0 - 4.5 in this case.

Dave
[move][/move]

fgutie35