Where to find an EGR valve?

Started by Clyde9, November 15, 2008, 10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 5/16/2006 7:30 PM

Any ideas where to find an EGR valve for my '79 440?

How much should they cost?

Allan

Sent: 5/16/2006 7:50 PM

For reference, Dodge P/N is 3698887.  Good luck

Dave

Sent: 5/16/2006 8:50 PM

I believe the EGR valve will be on the intake manifold, close to the carburetor. The last one I bought cost about $40. I think they last 40k to 70k miles before getting sticky.

Sent: 5/16/2006 10:12 PM

Did  you have the  old one  checked?  a  common  problem is the  valve may still  function but the  EGR port in the  manifold is  clogged.

just  something  new to  think about  before  shelling out  the  $$$

Sent: 5/16/2006 11:51 PM

I am searching for a replacement too. Mine has a very annoying whistle, whenever you release the gas pedal, due to a pinhole leak in the diaphragm. The good news is that it still works fine... the bad news is that the original has been obsolete from Dodge for years, and I have had no luck in finding a compatible "generic" replacement that will cross over from the OEM numbers. Mine's a 76' 440, I don't know if it's the same OEM number as the '79, My parts book only goes to '78.
If you do manage to find a replacement that works, please post where you get it from.
Lefty

Sent: 5/17/2006 5:25 PM

Someone check their valve for a tag and a number on that tag - by application and by the OE number published here in this thread, there is no listing or replacement offered by Standard Motor Products, which would include Carquest, Napa, and most independents.

Autozone sells a different manufacturer, Wells.

Let me know,

Geoff
Alretta Truck Parts Inc
brakeparts@mac.com

(Where is everybody??)