How do you check Belt Alignment???

Started by Clyde9, November 15, 2008, 10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 7/28/2006 10:42 PM

Any suggestions on checking and adjusting both Power Steering and Alternator Belt alignment.....What it the easiest way to check to see if the pullies are aligned, and what is the simplist way to align them.

Thanks, Timmy

Sent: 7/28/2006 11:18 PM

A method I used many years ago was to construct a thing that helped. Measurement is critical.

I took a small piece of wood and made it long enough to go across the engine. Then, I made two smaller pieces of wood and nailed them on each end.

Now the tricky part.

Hooking a Third piece of wood, with a sliding clamp, I ran it acorss the engine. When I came to a pulley, I marked it. Then went to the next pulley. I knew which ones weren't where they were supposed to be.

It was crude, but it worked.

Sent: 7/30/2006 3:05 AM

I just crawl under the engine to where I can see all the belts in line.  Close one eye, and line the pulleys up like the sights on a rifle...Its pretty easy to see if they align or not...I've been lucky with alignment, so I couldn't tell you how to correct a problem if you had one.

Kev

Sent: 8/7/2006 12:07 AM

I'll chime in here......

I did the eyeball thing. But the radiator was out and there was lots of "air".....

Still I have a problem. The belts are not wearing, so I thinks alignment is ok. But at high RPM I have a screamer. Like 50 mph plus. Or (briefly) flooring it when parked in neutral.

The only thing I see is a wobbly pully on the power steering pump.....maybe I'll replace that.....unfortunately now the radiator is back in....

Sent: 8/7/2006 10:07 AM

I did that eyeball thing and so far if I ever get the other problem with the fuel fixed....all loose good so far......had a bad squeal at hi RPM's all pulley's seem good and in line.
Belt on Alternator would be tight then loosen up....added a nut and bolt to act as a stopper/brace to the swing track on the alternator.....could not get the single bolt tight enough. I guess and when it was under load....it just moved ever so slightly loosening up the belt just enough to give it a good squeal....and was wearing the belt from the center......seems to be OK now......will let you know if it's cured for good.

Timmy

Sent: 8/7/2006 8:44 PM

"Screaming"?  That's easy!  Only two possibilities:  It's too loose, or it's too tight.  There should be a little bit a play across the longest run from one wheel to the next.  An inch?  Two inches?  I can't recall, but I'd go for one.

And, after that, it it still "screams," try some belt dressing on it.  Very cheap, and works wonders.