Brake Bleeders rusted to wheel.

Started by Clyde9, November 15, 2008, 10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 4/26/2006 6:55 PM

I got the front bleeders to open.  The back wheels, arggg, I do believe the socket I had on there rounded them off.    Any ideas ???   Thanks ...

Sent: 4/26/2006 8:45 PM

I have had them stuck before and a wrench wouldn't loosen them and I got them loose with vice-grips. If you do get them loose like this I would replace them. The other alternative would be to replace the wheel cylinders.

Sent: 4/27/2006 12:44 AM

There is a rust penetrate available at auto parts stores called "P.B.Blaster". It works fantastic! Spray on, and let it sit for a day or two, then use the vise-grips to break them loose. Take them with you to get the right replacements.

Sent: 4/27/2006 1:55 AM

I never even try to open bleeders that have not been open within a few months without heating them with a torch first  just get them cherry red and let them cool for 30 seconds or so and they should open right up be sure to use a six point socket instead of a wrench and you will  reduce the chance of rounding them off.

Sent: 4/27/2006 4:57 PM

Using six point wrenches is vital, unless you are already to the vise grips stage. So is soaking them with penetrating oil, and not just on one day - a few days of being soaked daily is also good. Even if the bleeder screws aren't damaged when you get them freed, new ones are really cheap. If you heat those parts with a torch I would expect you will be melting the rubber parts of the wheel cylinder or caliper.
When the bleeder is opened and the brake fluid runs out, remember that the residual brake fluid is hygropscopic, and will absorb moisture from the air. It keeps the threads damp for quite a while. I always put a drop or two of the moisture displacing liquids, like Marvel mystery oil, on the part. And I put a drop or two of motor oil on the bleeder screws a couple of times a year, along with the flare nut on the brake lines. This helps to slow down the further corrosion of the threads.
I often put a thin coating of an antisieze compound on the threads of the bleeder screws before I put them back in. This wont contaminate the brake fluid if you take care never to put it on the internal threads of the wheel cylinder or caliper, and to bleed the brakes using positive pressure on the brake pedal.

Sent: 5/2/2006 1:59 AM

Bleeder plugs are going to be fun.
I have found this tool to be the best
http://www.mytoolstore.com/american/vis003.html
Clamp it on douse liberally with your favorite penetrating oil and give the vice grip a smack with your hand to break it loose.
I don't normally have to replace the bleeder plug.
FWIW
Gord

Sent: 5/2/2006 6:14 AM

Standard vice grips do not do well, there isn't enough room to really position them correctly on those back drums.  I think I am going to let the mechanic down the street give it a go.   I am hoping experience knows the answer...

Sent: 5/2/2006 8:04 AM

I use a six point 1/4" socket and a tiny breaker bar. A tiny ball peen hammer (2oz) can be used to lightly tap on the socket for an impact effect (this works, but don't hit too hard!)  Once they're loose, then you can go back to using a wrench, or replace the bleeders (recommended, if not the whole wheel cylinder!).

Also.... P'Blaster works great, beter that CRC 5-56 or WD-40. to remove the rust/corrosion.

I have, in a pickle, used a Propane torch (NOT O2/Acetylene!!) to heat a bleeder and get it loose, but around brake fluid, it's dangerous. If your careful, it works. If your not comfortable around a potential fire, and don't know how to stop the fire, DON'T DO THIS!
Also, using penetrates and oils then the propane torch method is a big No-no!
Careful on the passenger side, as the fuel line for the Generator runs right there too.

Have fun, but

BE SAFE....!

Tom 

Sent: 5/6/2006 11:38 AM

Some version of naval jelly on the bleeder overnight and I got the drivers side bleeder open ..  The passenger side does not want to cooperate ...