Why no parts listings for M-500?

Started by AllanCZ, November 15, 2008, 09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanCZ

Sent: 3/14/2006 5:44 AM

How come parts stores/websites don't list the M-500 in their model options? The closest I can usually come is M-300 and not always that!

Allan

Slantsixness

Sent: 3/14/2006 7:31 AM

Most Auto Parts stores are just that...."AUTO" Parts Stores.

You need a Medium to Heavy Duty Truck Parts store.
Now with that said, the M500, M600 and M700 are rare Birds. They were made towards the end of the Chrysler Heyday of Motor home chassis. Very well designed, good running, but unfortunately Low production. Almost all the parts will interchange with the M-400, which you can find sometimes. As far as suspension and Brake systems, try Geoff (Brake parts) at   he can help!

Alternatively, just post your needs here, one of us will know where to look for answers!

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

Lefty

Sent: 3/14/2006 12:42 PM

Good Answer Tom,
And you are right. An "Auto Parts Store" is just that... Auto Parts.  And yes, numbers sell, and these do not have the numbers left around to justify a store carrying a lot of parts, luckily, they DO share some parts with models that were popular. And you can use that model as a reference.

Depending on what you need, you can try a regular 1-ton Dodge truck, or van,  of the same year for a lot of the engine parts and such.
Thermostats were special, use the "Search" function to find the correct info.

Belts, hoses, mounts, etc... would need to be matched, not looked up.
plugs,wires,caps,rotors,etc.. were standard issue Dodge 1-ton truck
Oil filter is same as 1-ton, but air filter is unique, use your old one to find a match.
Fuel pumps were also different, get the casting # off your old one to locate the correct one.
Transmissions were special, built extra heavy duty, they were called "Load-flite" not "Torque-flite" filters are same as 1-ton, but pans were bigger, & deeper, and the internals were extra heavy duty (bands,clutches,etc...)
I could go on, and on, but you get the general idea.
Brake parts have all but been totally discontinued from all the major Auto Parts chains, with the exception of a few items.

Geoff at Alretta is BY FAR the best source for any brake parts! He has a well proven track record with this group, and has helped a whole lot of members find the right part they needed. (btw- He's also a long-standing member here too! Membername: Brakeparts)

Lefty
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Cooneytoones

Sent: 3/14/2006 9:02 PM

As an owner of one of those rare breeds (M500).....Geoff is highly recommended by me.....Some parts are available other places and some parts only through Geoff at Altretta Trucks, he will not steer you wrong..............don't try and fool with the stores......you'll get a run around and they don't even know they are doing it.....even some places that deal in medium to heavy trucks will drive you crazy for certain parts. The largest truck parts place in Louisville, Kentucky gave up after sending the wrong part 4 times, the guy even took the original part with him, and could not match it.......
Geoff had it.....and after 2 weeks fiddling with the truck place.....I ordered it, got it from Geoff with in two days and the part was brand new....lesson learned.....if you do happen to go to hppen to go the NAPAQuestZone route always, always take the old part with you.....and having the Dodge Parts manual with you (some numbers will cross over, other won't) will save you a headache or at least another trip back to the place.....and when in doubt, post it here.....some one will come to the rescue, CW never fails.....

Timmy

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 6/24/2006 8:22 PM

You might also want to keep your eyes open on E-Bay for an original Dodge(?)M500 Chassis Service Manual, and even more important, the original Dodge M500 PARTS manual!  I have been able to get MOST of my parts from auto parts stores simply by giving them to Dodge part number out of the manual...they cross reference the number, and lo and behold!!!  With a few exceptions (one was an ignition relay), I haven't had much problem finding engine and chassis parts...throttle cable, engine doo-dads, etc.  And everyone here is right:  Geoff at Alretta Brake Parts is the ultimate source for brake parts for our rigs.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

denisondc

Sent: 6/24/2006 8:48 PM

I don't think you will see any manuals for M500/M600/M700 per se. The parts catalog that covers up through the 1979 models has listings in it for various M5 parts, and possibly M6 or M7 parts. (I have never looked.)
As has been laid out already, many of the parts were in common; engines, tranny, etc. The heavier axles would have had different parts numbers, as would the springs, but I doubt you would ever need a new axle. New brake linings and wheel cylinders, sure - and the parts catalog had the part numbers for them. But on my M400 I not yet used the mopar 7 digit numbers to get any brake parts. Instead I have been able to carry in the old part and they try to match it.
I believe the service manual 'supplement' that covers the 1974 and 75 dodge chassis has the service procedures for the M500 - which are mostly the same as for the M400. It is possible the 'dodge motor home chassis service manual'
with the multicolor cover would include the service procedures for the M600/M700 - if it was in the production line-up in 77 or 78.
Also; there are service manuals for the heavy Dodge Trucks (as opposed to motor homes using the Light Truck chassis),and they include the chassis series from the 500s up through the 1000s. I have that manual, but those trucks used mostly standard transmissions, the larger than 440 v8 gasoline and diesel engines, and much heavier axles. Above the 700 I think they all used air brakes.

DaveVA78Chieftain

For reference:
Dodge never produced a M700 motorhome chassis

1969-1973  (The split rim years)
M300
M375

1973-1974 (The confusion years)
Originally Dodge used the following chassis designations which are reflected in the VIN# designations
RM300  (now known as M300)
RM350  (now known as M400)
RM400  (now known as M500)
In 1975 (Source: 74/75 Service Manual Supplement), Dodge decided to change those designations to the following and applied the change to the 73/74 chassis also
M300 (old RM300)
M400 (old RM350)
M500 (old RM400)
Unfortunantly many aftermarket parts suppliers had already established their data and did not change their data. They retained the old RM designations so you can find M400 parts listed under M400, R350, M350, or RM350.   This confusion can even roll forward all the way to 79/80.  Example: You will locate M400 front disk rotors under M350 but not M400.

1975-1980
M300
M400 (Don't forget some parts are listed under R/M350)
M500 (Don't forget some parts are listed under R/M400)
M600

And last but far from least:
1) Many mfg's like Winnebago, had to order the chassis' early so they produced this years Winnebago (i.e 1978) on last years chassis (i.e 1977).
2) Each state had their own method of recording VIN number data prior to the 17 character standard implemented in 1981.  As such the VIN number on a title may be either the Winnebago model designation or the 13 character Dodge chassis VIN.  There simply was no federally mandated recording standard prior to 1981.  This can create mass confusion at times.

Dave
[move][/move]