Air shocks to raise rear end

Started by Clyde9, November 15, 2008, 09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 4/15/2003 1:08 AM

Remember those cool air shocks we used on our mustangs and such to raise rearend?I have a slight sag to the right.would like to add air shocks to raise the lower side and up the whole rear a couple inches.Anyone doing this?Thanks
BooBoo

From: chip     Sent: 4/15/2003 7:23 PMyou can try but, i suspect the weight load on the shock bladder will be too great as the load transfers front to back and left to right as you drive down the road. you"ll probably have to go with air lift or firestone air bags.

Sent: 4/16/2003 1:46 AM

Hi BooBoo. Is the sag on the generator side?. Are these leaf or coil springs? Any  broken leaf's, worn ends?. Can you put metal spacers between axle and springs to restore or increase height?
Mike

Sent: 4/16/2003 8:42 AM

Don't know how much wt. would transfer,never thought of that.Was hoping to avoid the spring fix which would be expensive as I cant do heavy repair work anymore.yes it is the gen side.Forgot about air bags,that would work,price is reasonable,i could do it myself.Thanks for the brain recharge guys.
Wife says it probably needs new curtains.
BooBoo

Sent: 4/16/2003 4:21 PM

That is a good price on springs,is the 250 per side?Im not clear,are they replacing or rearcing or putting in more,kind of like shims? Don't think there is any reason I cant do shocks myself.Thinking monroes for shocks,any advice from you minnie owners on shock choice,heard bilstiens are expensive,some love em some hate em.Personal experience on 300 chassis sure would be appreciated.
thanx Rick
BooBoo

Sent: 4/16/2003 10:01 PM

I think leaf springs can be retempered and restored to their original arch. I know this is often done when restoring prewar cars. I suspect all of our 30 year old springs have lost an inch or so in resting height. I don't think you can do it to the coils though. denison

Sent: 4/16/2003 11:57 PM

Those airbags just keep sounding better and  better
BooBoo

Sent: 4/17/2003 12:22 AM

Rick,it takes 2 tons to compress these shocks????They must be monsters!
BooBoo

Sent: 4/17/2003 8:01 PM

See the reply by James on the general thread,he found the RV section of jcwhitney.com offers standard air shocks,air bags,air bladders,and helper springs.Good job James and thank you.
BooBoo

Sent: 4/17/2003 8:29 PM

Another thing to consider with air shocks is that the load is now carried as a shear force on the anchor pins for the shocks. they are typically no larger than 3/4" in diameter. whereas air bags have a much bigger base mount to spread out the load.