Power Steering Noise

Started by Clyde9, November 15, 2008, 09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 9/11/2003 10:03 PM

There's a noise coming from my power steering pump.  Is the belt loose?

Sent: 9/11/2003 10:20 PM

Loose power steering belt is right. The fluid being low makes a groaning noise as you turn the wheel, regardless of vehicle speed. There are 2 bolts, probably 9/16ths, to loosen on the p.s. pump, one for the pivot, other is the clamp. Then you can pry it tighter with a 1/2 drive socket arm. If the belt is ready to tear, or even if it is just really old, a new belt would be good insurance. Unfortunately on my 413 I think the two alternator belts might have to be loosened up to let the p.s. belt come off around them. I usually put a piece of plywood over the engine on wood spacers, so I can lean over there and really finesse the belts past the fan hub without bending the rad fins too much. Or bending the air cleaner under my knees. denison

Sent: 9/12/2003 12:34 AM

Thanks for the help.

Only been in the dog house once myself.  The other tiem teh dog house opened, A mechanic replace the Alternator/Reg and when he re-installed the dog house, he placed teh dog house cover inside the aluminum frame that surrounds the dog house.  This does not look correct to me.  I will check out maybe tomorrow when I tighten the power steering and replace the belt.

Thanks again.
Dave Beatty

Sent: 9/12/2003 11:07 AM

Dave,you should probably replace all the belts while at it,and hoses wouldnt hurt either.Save the old parts,they can come in handy on the road.

PS,put in vacation five- six MONTHS ago,and will find out 5 days before its due if it went thru,what a LOSER!!!!!!!!!Cant tell me crap only flows downhill,where I work it even defies gravity!
BooBoo

Sent: 9/12/2003 6:31 PM

beaty1950; On mine and all the ones I have seen, the engine cover fits down over the lip on the doghouse from the top, and is held down by the rubber stretch goodies on each side, as well as at the back by a window sash clamp. When I put mine back on, I have to lift it up at the front end, in order to be able to stuff the sides and back into the little aluminum frame that goes around the engine opening. I had to glue the carpeting on too, as it was working loose at that bottom part, from old age. Then I push down on the front of the engine cover, and attach the rubber clamps that are on each side. But the right way is whatever suits you the best.
I remove my engine cover pretty often - which means turning that double front seat sideways and pulling it part way out of its support. It is how I check my tranny fluid - and my tranny leaks about 4 pints in a couple of months, just sitting, from its old seals. After that 4 pints it pretty well it stops leaking though - because its down to the level of the seal. I also look for fuel leaking from the carb or the supply lines, and for any wire that is chafing, or drooping near the exhaust manifold, etc. Even coolant leaks from the thermostat housing or the radiator hoses. denison