1974 brave

Started by TJBones, August 01, 2010, 11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJBones

Hi all, Well the 1974 Winnebago Brave that I got for free on craigs list and has been sitting for 15+ years not only started but after changing the fluids and alittle tweaking here and there I drove it 111 miles home and it did great. I'm amazed at how well it did are these things bullet proof or what. 440 engine I only got about 4-5 mpg but i'm sure after a good cleaning of the carb and alittle more tweaking I'll get 6-7 mpg. Can you believe not only did the dash air work but it still blew cold air(good old r12) when I got home I tried the roof air and it too blew nice and cold. I felt like I was in The Twilight Zone..........lol    oh did I mention the whole rv was sunk about 8 inches in the sand, it pulled it self out of the sand grave with a little rocking thought for sure it was stuck. To my joy when I drove it out of the sand the tires(which looked flat)were like new. They were not flat and had hardly any weather checking on them the sand it seems protected the tires from the sun. By now i was looking around for hidden cameras cause i thought somebody was playing a joke on me. I would have never thought I would even think about driving this even 100 feet with tires that are 15+ years old. I guess the Winnebago gods were all smiling down on me. I will post pics soon, its a beauty.

OldEdBrady

You, Sir, have a gem!

And welcome.

ibdilbert01

Its called MOPAR  :P

Welcome Aboard!   
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

poppatello

Hmmm, 15 plus years in the sand. I would still be concern. Make sure you check the brake lines and etc. Also, I have been told that tires wheather they are in good shape or not still have a life code. I think it's 7 years but that I am not sure. I would think on the current tires I would stay close to home until you replace them. Please do post pictures ASAP. I have a 73 I've owned now for four years and I've never taking it camping yet. There are a lot I don't know about the coach. Good to know someone new like myself. Good luck and welcome to the RV/Winnebago world. From what I've seen so far, it's a great one...

RV Mech Tech

Congrats on your  find!!! - sounds like being sunken in the sand helped with the purchase price!! LOL! -  this is another story of a machine that refused to die- it just waited for someone to come along and rescue it - now its  showing its appreciation by making sure everything works- that's your reward!!  - looking forward to the pics!! have fun!!    :)clap

JDxeper

Good show man, good show. Y!
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Oz

QuoteThere are a lot I don't know about the coach. Good to know someone new like myself. Good luck and welcome to the RV/Winnebago world. From what I've seen so far, it's a great one...

One thing we all have in common... we were all new to this at one time or another and, we're always learning, no matter now much we already may know.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

bigern

that was a awesome deal . :)clap looking forward to seing the pics .enjoy
bigern

73super

That would have made a good series of pictures!  Didn't happen to have a camera with you when you did all this did you?  I'm anxious to see your treasure!  How cool!

4winds