Considering a Propane Generator

Started by Cakeman2253, July 24, 2010, 11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cakeman2253

Propane generator anyone running one or know about them? Before I spend too much money or time on my 37 year old Onan (getting it running), I have been reading on the almighty internet about propane generator. Since I don’t have air conditioner I only need it to run basics and keep batteries charged when on the beach.
I understand that the carbs don’t gum up like traditional fuels if not used.

Anyone have any experience with them? I was looking at one at northern tool
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200383168_200383168

I would pull my Onan and replace it with the new gen in the compartment on a sliding tray.
Then i could just plug my land line power cord into the generator to power the coach. Thanks
God grant me calm seas, A helpful wind, A good catch, And a safe return home

RV Mech Tech

Cakeman- propane generators are a good choice if you have the genset running for several hours a day or when boondocking  powering things like your roof  AC and anything else- contractors favour them as they have portable gensets running all day long on jobsites and they can use protable propane tanks and its cheaper in the long run than gasoline-  if you only run the generator for a few hours a day then would it be cost effective to switch over especially since  you do not have AC? - on RV's the differences can be lower cost if doing a lot of dry camping with a propane genset-  to add one to your Winnie you would have to plumb in a line to the generator bay and also it is recommended to install a separate supply line with a dedicated (2nd) pressure regulator for the generator itself in addition to the original regulator you have now- all the new Winnebago's are done this way - you will see two regulators tapped into the high pressure side (between the tank shut off valve or 'vapour service valve') and the regulators  so from the tank valve you would have one line with a 'T'  and then two lines from there , one each to the regulators- if you tap into the main supply line for the coach appliances the generator draw can drop the pressure going to the appliances- that's why Winnebago and some manufactures plumb their new systems that way - propane is a cleaner running fuel but is not entirely clean - when used as an engine fuel those propane  systems have an in line filter that clogs up once in a while- on the plus side there will be less deposits inside the engine (carbon buildup in the genset cylinder head for example)  and this along with the long range costs is why you see  lot of fleet vehicles with propane and natural gas systems- so the choice is yours - the ETQ generator is more than you will need at 3500 surge and 3000 running Watt's especially without an AC unit - if you do the conversion I would suggest leaving the original genset fuel line and blocking it off so that if you decide to sell your Winnie the next owner can reinstall a gas genset if he wants to.     Hm?

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

ClydesdaleKevin

The thing I like most about propane generators is that they produce hardly any carbon monoxide so they are much safer to run at night.  Don't ever go to sleep with any generator running...you might not wake up...but if you DID fall asleep watching TV with the genny on, propane is much much safer CO wise.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.