Is it possible to rewire a Coleman Powermate for single 30amp Plug?

Started by scooby1444, July 10, 2010, 05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooby1444

I recently bought a 72'  Brave and then later got a great deal on a Coleman Powermate gen. The gen is a 4000 watt and has four plugs in the end, two are 110 and two are 220. Each plug is 16.7 watts. Is there a way to tie the 110's to create 110 at 30 watts? I have tried to find the wiring diagram for the gen but have only be able to get an exploded view of the parts list from Coleman website. Any ideas would appreciated. 

ibdilbert01

For non RV generator repair and help, you might want to check out the forums on www.smokstak.com .  The site centers around antique engines, but if you do a search, you'll find all kinds of modern information on modern generator heads.  The last time I had the gen head off my coleman it wasn't designed to be wired for straight 110, but mine is an older 5k, a different model than yours.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

DaveVA78Chieftain

The windings of the 2 120VAC legs are out of phase with each other in contractor style generators.  While this allows you to achiieve 240VAC across both phases, you cannot connect them together to achieve double the amperage.

Dave

Example of a typical Contractor style generator
[move][/move]