Revcon slantnose suspension - cracked lower control arm

Started by sploke, August 13, 2022, 12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sploke

Ran into a major issue today on the Revcon.  I was installing the new torsion bar adjusters.  Got them set and the ride height adjusted.  Pulled out of the driveway and *BANG* the front right side dropped about 4".  After some investigation, the hex socket in the lower control arm where the torsion bar sits, has a crack in it and it's allowing the torsion bar to spin when it gets enough weight on it.  Pulling the control arm off tomorrow to get a better look at what's going on and consider options....never seen anything like this before.

Oz

Damn. Definitely not your every day type of problem.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Elandan2

Maybe you could try Cinnabar Engineering. I believe the GMC motorhome had the same torsion bar setup.
https://www.thegmcmotorhomepeople.com/
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Elandan2

Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

sploke

No, I had already replaced the torsion keys at the back of the bars.  My problem is at the front end, where the bars socket into the lower control arms.

Elandan2

Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

sploke

Quote from: Elandan2 on August 15, 2022, 08:01 AM
You could go with these. Expensive but it would cure the problem.
https://www.gmcrvparts.com/product-p/gm1-1.010.21.htm

The later year Revcon arms are totally different from the GMC ones, they were custom Revcon items.

sploke

We opened up an access hole on the bottom of the arm to get at the broken part and repair it.

Eyez Open

Now that is going deep into recon. When that suspension fell was there secondary damages? Watching your work has put my efforts back into perspective, meaning I really don't have big issues other than a black money hole.

sploke

No, luckily I was only going about 5mph in reverse out of the driveway, so it snapped and fell, but wasn't going fast enough to do any other damage.