Onan Generator cranks but won't start

Started by MSN Member, June 22, 2010, 11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moondisc1

Sent: 9/7/2004 

Fired my genny to warm it up, changed the oil & filter, went to start it, wouldn't crank, just the fuel pump would come on when I hit the switch.
A quick test told me the solonoid was bad.
Replaced it, and when I hooked the 2 wires to the start post on the solonoid, the fuel pump started.
Pulled that wire off, hit the switch, no power to the start terminal.
My electrican bud said the relays must be bad. Put 2 new relays in it, same thing.
If you ground the wire off the start terminal to the fuel pump, it comes on. In fact you have to ground it, then put power to the start terminal to start it. But if it's grounded, the genny won't shut off.
Put the old (bad) solonoid back on, and I can jump across it and it starts, and shuts off with the switch.
But there is power to the start terminal all the time.
I'm stumped. Anyone?
Thanks

Sea Hag

Sent: 9/8/2004

Onan did a few things different , well ok alot of things . the original selinod has a ground or negitive ( - ) activated trigger ( the small terminal ) . Most selinoids for automotive use , from the auto store have a positive( + ) acvtivated trigger , I had to order one from a onan dealer as I couln't find one with a negitive trigger in the auto parts stores even though they look the same .   
    SO when you ground the old seliniod terminal you are bypassing the strart stop switch , which switches  a ground (-)to start the engine by closing the selinoid and stopping the engine by grounding the points .  The starter is the generator feild itself called an exciter type , basicly turning the generator with the Battery to spin the engine .  With the trigger constantly grounded the selinoid is constantly closed alowing power to the feild . even though you ground the points at the off switch ,it keeps spinning the generator and restarts . sometimes it's hard to tell if engine is running or exciter is spinning generator . with this selionoid closed it also delivers un regulated voltage back to the battery .
   I have a Onan 4k wireing scematic I can forward if you email me - Sea Hag

Moondisc1

Sent: 9/8/2004

HA! That 'splains why the Ford solonoid I put on didn't work!
I've got the scematic.
Thanks SH!