Different VIN Numbers?

Started by jmccarrell, June 14, 2010, 08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmccarrell

Ok, Iooked through the search and didn't find the answer to my question regarding the VIN. I have a 1973 Winnebago Chieftain II D28 and today I went to the DMV to get it registered so that I can legally drive it around. I live in California and my RV has Utah plates. So, the DMV had to verify the VIN to my Winne. Well, I found the metal plate just inside the door on the cabinet and then we found the white sticker looking deal above the drivers head. So, here lays my problem with the DMV. Are these VIN's supposed to match or are they going to be different? Mine are different. I now have to go to the California Highway Patrol to get this stuff verified. If anybody knows the answer to this please let me know so that I can inform them as to why they would be different if they are indeed supposed to be different. Thank you in advance.

Oz

They are going to be different.  One is the coach VIN, the other is the Chassis VIN.  The one which also gives the Serial Number is the one with the Chassis VIN.  It should be the one by your door.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

JDxeper

Sob is right on.    now the dilemma.  Either number can appear on the title.
Find the one that matches your title or registration.  You are not the first to discover the problem. A lot of the time they are also different years.  Happy hunting.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Oz

And, obviously, you really would want your title VIN to match the chassis VIN, so you could submit a title correction if it's the wrong one.

jmccarrell

I agree with the VIN's matching. I'll have to look for the VIN that's on the chassis itself so I know which one needs to be on the title. The PO bought it at a lien sale so an old title or registration is non existant. Also, he didn't finish the registration process himself so the VIN wasn't verified and I got hammered with the penelty fees from December of 2009 when he tried to register it. I'll get it squared away because I don't want the potetial next owner to have any issues when ever I decide to pass it on and if I decide to pass it on. A lot of people don't seem to have much integrity these days. I'm one of the few left that do and I don't believe in giving people something that isn't right. Or giving out false information. If all else fails though the California Highway Patrol is supposed to assign a new VIN to it so we'll see what happens. Gonna make an appointment to get this ironed out. Everything looks legit, so I'm sure that the lady at the DMV is unaware of these things having two different VIN's on them. The one above the driver has the right year, make, and model just a different number from the metal plate by the door. Being that the information you guys have shared with me states they should have different numbers then I should be ok. I'll let you know how tis pans out. Thanks again for the help. I love this site and all the information and help that's available here.

Oz

Check the VIN number on the metal plate with the VIN decoder here.  If it's the chassis VIN, it'll translate and give you the accurate data of your rig.  The coach data plate gives the month and year the chassis was manufactured, and that's rarely the same month, even year, when the chassis was produced, especially if it was a late-year run.

DaveVA78Chieftain

For reference, the Dodge chassis VIN # should be simular to M40BN2S000001
The VIN plate has Dodge or Fargo on it.

Dave
[move][/move]

jmccarrell

Alright! I have had success today with the VIN's. The CHP came out and took a look at everything and fortunately for me I have the original warranty card and service sheet from the original owner. I should've brought those with me to the DMV but wasn't thinkin I'd have a problem. Now my problem with getting plates is solved. So, Monday morning I'm gonna take my paperwork from the CHP with me and get my plates so that this RV is totally legal and legit like it was last time in 2006...lol! Wow, it's been 4 years since this RV has been totally legal in any DMV system. Crazy! I guess nobody wanted to take the few minutes of thier time to get the VIN verified properly. Well, I did it and am ready to enjoy this once fine machine and hopefully with time and patience she'll be a fine piece of automotive history. Thanks again for the help guys!

JDxeper

Oz

QuoteOk now show us your VIN!

That's about as close to RV smut as it gets, folks.

However, if you post both all the data on the sticker you found above the driver's seat and the plate by the door, in it's entirety, it will make a very good example for those with the same question later.

Follow up to confirm the solution to questions is the most important thing here.  If you get possible options and find the answer, it helps you now, but it doesn't do a bit of good for anyone else.

So, please tell us your result when you have found the resolution.

jmccarrell

Vin above the drivers seat is known as the Manufacturers Body Serial Number. Mine is 3338601339136
The VIN on the metal plate next to the door is the Manufacturer's Motor Vehicle Identification Number. Mine is M49CN3J007253

From what I've been told on this forum one is for the body and one is for the chassis. When you go to your DMV and you happen to have a RV that is either from out of state or out of the DMV system you'll have to get your VIN verified. In California this is common practice as it is in most states. When I went to register my Winnebago I didn't know there were two different VIN's associated with this vehicle. I had an idea but wasn't 100% sure until I asked here. So, to break it down, the VIN above the driver's head is not the VIN you would use to register the RV. The one on the metal plate is the one you would use. A lot of Class B and C motorhomes have the same issue. Most of the time with those types of RV's it starts life as a chassis then shipped out to be outfitted as a RV or whatever it was intended to be used for. Therefore you have two VIN numbers to deal with. You will almost always use the VIN from the metal plate for registration purposes. If I had this knowledge prior to registering my Winnebago then I would have never had to take the extra step of going to the California Highway Patrol office to get it verified. Also, some of our metal plates are held in place with regular phillips head or flat head screws which might look kind of fishy. If you are unsure of it being the correct VIN plate you can always look for your VIN on the chassis of the RV. Mine happens to be located on the front passenger side of the frame just behind the tire. If you have rust issues all I can say is try to wire brush it off if at all possible or maybe get a piece of paper and transfer it by putting the paper on the frame of where the VIN should be located and with a pencil scribble over the paper and the VIN location and in most cases it should appear. So, in a nutshell, know your vehicle and know where to find the information you need. I just so happened to have the original warranty certificate for mine so that helped a lot in my case. Old registration papers can help as well. Good luck and remember to do your research and ask lots of questions. Vehicle Forums are a great place to start. Happy Motoring!

JDxeper

So now you know that
    M4 = M 400 Dodge chassis
       9 = Motor home chassis
       C = 10,001- 14,000 lbs GVW
       N = 413-1 motor
        3 = 1973
       J =  1973 series
007253 = series production at all plants.   So you have a 1973 M400 chassis with a 413-1 motor.  Now you can find the parts.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Check the front radiator access (driver side) area which is where my Dodge plate is. 

If not there or on the drivers area wall then you will have to go find the one etched into the outside of the passenger side frame rail just inboard of the front shock absorber.  You may have to wire brush down to metal to locate it. (outboard the radiator in this pic)

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/Pages_HTML/DodgeVINdecoder.html

In the 70's, federal laws where not written such that you had to use a chassis VIN number.  Each state made it's determination as to what number they would use for a VIN.  Some used the Dodge VIN, some use the Winnebago ID Number, some even allowed the selling dealer to assign a number.  In other words a real hodgepodge which can really make life miserable today when registering a rig.

You are having a problem because this one:

is not a Dodge VIN.  Most likely it is a Winnebago ID Number.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/service/faq.php

Dave
[move][/move]

Stripe

T.O.N. stands for T.ruck O.rder N.umber....
FTW!!!

You should grab the Dodge chassis manual download from the store it will have a LOT of info in it.  I'm glad I did! :D

By the way, where was it??? ???

EDIT: FTW in the context of this post = For The Win.
Thank you and have a pleasant tomorrow...
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DaveVA78Chieftain

Ahh, big boy M500 chassis.  I only have a M400
QuoteBy the way, where was it??? ???

Well?

Dave
[move][/move]

Stripe

If the manual dun say, the Truck Order Number was a way of tracking the chassis.  The order number would be associated with whatever was ordered aside from just the chassis, like the inclusion of AC or a certain type engine and whatnot

Nowadays you can actually log onto Dodges' website and use the TON as a way of tracking the progress of the truck during production.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28