Looking at a 1969 F-17

Started by Stewartfan, June 07, 2010, 07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewartfan

I just became a member today and this is my first post. The reason I joined is we are currently looking at a '69 F-17 and would like to know if there is any things I should look at or questions I should as ask to the current owner before making an offer. We have been looking at RVs for about a year and the asking price is right and the fact that is something unique is very interesting to us. Any information would be very helpful.

tiinytina

upgrade to full member to access the full resources... there are soooo many things to check out and all have been covered here in depth... member area resource links...  Welcome This is the place you need to be to jump on the RV learning curve no matter what you end up purchasing!

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

LJ-TJ

Well first welcome aboard.  :)clap Second have ya got any pictures? What kind of money is the fellow looking for. I have to agree with Tina there is tons of info in the members area. It will keep you studying all week. But tons and tons of good info.

Jimco_W001

Well I've been using my 1970 F-17 for over 16 years and now I'm turning it into the fastest Winnebago.It's OK because I have 3 other older Ford Winne's that I can use right now and one for parts.Plus don't worry about the power steering leaking or breaking,they don't have any power steering!

Stewartfan

I don't have any pictures but I have seen some, and it looks like it is in good shape.

JDxeper

I have a 68 F-17.   Please join and look at the resources.  There are several check lists for new purchases.  First rule look, see, feel, touch before doing anything.  Do your research.  Inspect floor, ceilings, sidewalls, water systems, refrig and AC.  Plumbing, electrical circuits, gen set, now that's just a start on the coach. 

The chassis probably has a 300 CID in line 6 cly.  Easy to work on and simple, Usually has a C-4 auto tranny.  So check all the big ticket standard stuff, motor, tires, brakes, tranny, exhaust, intakes, gas tanks for leaks, cooling system, ect.  And that's a start on the chassis.  To find lots more detail, spring for the full membership!
JD
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Stewartfan

I will spring for the full membership when I buy the rig, I'm just looking for any information on known issues from the experts. When I say experts I mean anyone that has experience with this kind of rig because that is not me, I can do all the work myself or if its over my I know my limits and take it to the proper shop.

Jimco_W001

Hey JD,the CWJVRV will be here soon.It will be nice to see you here at the JAM!
Just had to tell you that all early auto P-350 Ford chassis from the factory came supplied with the FMX unless it was a 4 speed manual...

JDxeper

My 68 has a c-4 (not a c4 but a MX-HD  PFB-B1) at least my books indicate that, will have to find out the difference , "FOUND OUT THE DIFFERENCE" THE id TAG IS ON THE DRIVER SIDE OF TRANSMISSION, BEHIND THE SHIFT LEVERS. The ID tag shows tranny model prefix, sufix and serial number. so assumed the 69 had a c-4 also.   Have the skeleton of a 69 travco and it has a 300 Cid 6 banger with the same tranny.  FMX Hm?   That's how we learn things here at CWJVRV!   So the unit probably has a 6 banger with a MX-HD tranny.  Both the 68 and the 69 trannies I have are the MX-HD. D:oH! i?? :laugh:

I Saw that #1 has a 4 in the floor.
JD
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Stewartfan

Quote from: Stewartfan on June 08, 2010, 07:33 PM
I will spring for the full membership when I buy the rig, I'm just looking for any information on known issues from the experts. When I say experts I mean anyone that has experience with this kind of rig because that is not me, I can do all the work myself or if its over my head I know my limits and take it to the proper shop.