Adding Shoulder harness seat belts

Started by MSN Member, May 28, 2010, 12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatty1950

Sent: 8/26/2003

I would like the added safety of Shoulder Harness type seat belt for at least the front seats of my Classic 1975 D19 Winnebago.

I assume that I could use the existing floor bolts and add a third bolt to the exposed frame (Cage) that is behind the driver and co-pilot seats.  If needed I would be willing to drill hole from outside thru the exposed frame (cage) on each side.

Any experience with this type of upgrade would be appreciated.  A friend of mine said, don't worry about shoulder belts since D19 is big enough that you just drive right over anything in the way.

Also want to get some seat belt retractor.   Assume best to pickup at junk yard.

Thanks for the help

Dave Beatty

Beatty1950

Sent: 8/27/2003

Found below website with instructions and 140" shoulder belt for $90 each.

http://www.julianos.com/3_point_belt.html

Still investigating the option to make sure exposed steel cage of D19 is strong enough to attach upper anchor point of belt.

Any experience with this type of seat belt to shoulder harness upgrade would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave Beatty

DaveVA78Chieftain

Your question is one of how strong are the metal reinforcement braces that help support the walls and roof.  I would think that the only one who could possible answer your question is Winnebago.  I would be hesitant to trust the ones in my  78 Chieftain.  They really do not look that substantial.  Over time the roof ones sag but then again they span 8ft too.  I think you should see what Winnebago can tell you.  You cannot spread the force over a larger area on a sidewall like you can the floor mounts using a metal plate.

Dave
[move][/move]

Beatty1950

Contacted Winnebago Customer Relations at 800 537 1885.  They agreed that the metal braces located behind the driver and co-pilot seats should be strong enough to attach the shoulder level bracket.  I am planning to re-inforce the area with a U shaped channel of steel that is at least 4 ft long on both sides.

The actual 3 point seat belts with auto-retractors are available from

http://www.julianos.com/3_point_belt.html

$89 each with hardware or $59 without hardware.

I post photos when upgrade is complete. 

Should be alot safer and convenient with auto-retractors.

Dave Beatty

bhart70

Sent: 8/28/2003

I look forward to your pics and advice after the fact.  When I finally get my classic Winne I will be retrofitting it for 3 pt belts for all 5 of us (2 adults and 3 little ones) so I take great interest in your project.  JC Whitney has belts in their catalog, not sure of the price, but they probably have them at www.jcwhitney.com also.  Keep us updated.  You can never be too safe!
Looking for a D18-D20 in New England.

Beatty1950

Sent: 8/28/2003

When 3-point Shoulder Seat Belt is installed.

To safely attach the upper point of the 3 point system, I will be adding strength to the vertical exposed frame that is just behind the driver and co-pilot seats.  I will likely us a 6 foot piece of angle iron that wraps around the existing Winnebago exposed frame to drive the bolt thru.   This will take some work but should work fine.  I will over design the system for max strength and reliability, but any ideas I share are free to anyone to use at their own risk.

Dave Beatty