Loose nut behind the wheel(s)

Started by Clyde9, November 15, 2008, 12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 1/2/2008 7:17 PM

While tracking down a brake fluid leak on the right rear, I noticed something VERY scary.  Missing/loose nuts  on the U-bolts holding THE REAR AXLE!!!
This apparently  is the result of the  air-ride system installed by whomever/whenever.
One nut was gone, 2 others were loose out of 8.  It  does not  take a  rocket scientist to do the math on that one.   Maybe  my brake fluid leak was a message from the Winnebago Gods  telling me to 'Go asunder and taketh a peek'
The nuts are 7/8" 14 fine thread. I was  not to sure about  using loc-tite on these  and the  u-bolts were  long enough to accept   a double nut, so I  torqued the  nuts to 130 ft-lbs and  jammed a second nut against the torqued nuts. Hopefully  they will stay in place.
Everyone go check and make sure your nuts are still in place! 

Sent: 1/3/2008 10:13 AM

The service manual calls for 150-210 ft-lbs on the rear axle U bolt nuts. 105-155 for the front axle. I have looked at mine, haven't checked the torque though. About once a year when I bleed the brakes I drip oil onto the U bolts and let it run down onto the nuts, to slow down rusting.