318 Rebuild, Installation & Costs

Started by LJ-TJ, May 11, 2010, 02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Well we're off and running. The engine is up at the machine shop. The game plan is to pick it up running in about a week and a half. Just finished picking up some of the new parts. Remembering these are Canadian prices. Oh yeah, the block is a donner block from Dave and Mary's 1972 Winnebago that the tree fell on and cut in half.

New 318 Rebuild:
                                 Electronic Module     $74.05
                                 Starter Relay           $23.06
                                 Coil                         $42.62
                                 Plug Wires               $48.05
                                 Fuel Pump               $43.35
                                Distributor                $103.35
                                New Plugs 8              $24.16
                                Voltage Regulator      $8.50
                                Alternator                 $117.50
                                Starter                     $126.00
                                Ballast Resister         $10.20

LJ-TJ

Oooop! Forgot the Thermostat    $10.80
                               Gasket      $  1.96

Just got back from the machine shop. Call it as you will but boy she looks like a brand new engine. Dave said that when he bought the bago she only had around 27-30,000 miles on her. When I asked Mic what he thought he said she looked like she hadn't very many miles on her he could believe that it was a low mileage engine. He wished he got more engines in to start with like this one. Got lots of picks if anyones interested. Hope to get more as things come together.

LJ-TJ

Well just got back from the machine shop. Holy Cow wish I new how to post pictures. They just finished boring the block and were balancing the crank with the flex plate on it with the harmonic balancer. Pretty neat stuff. The heads were shaved and put together and they expect to start putting her together on Monday. Hope to get back up and get more picks Monday.  :laugh:

LJ-TJ

Here is the Engine Dave and Mary donated to the cause.

LJ-TJ

Here she is on Friday. There suppose to start putting her together today Monday the 17th.

LJ-TJ

OK! Just back from the machine shop. Great bunch of guys there. They actually let you in the shop to see what their doing. It almost looks like a NASCAR shop it's so clean. Here's what it looks like when the balance the harmonic balancer, crank shaft and flex plate.

LJ-TJ

This is what the pistons look like.

LJ-TJ

She balanced and blue printed and their putting her together as we speak. Mick said I was more than welcome to come back tomorrow and take more picks. Don't know the price yet. Scares the hell out of me but something had to be done. Any way here's the heads finished.

Valve springs:

LJ-TJ

Well went to check her out today and this is what she looked like. Were getting close. I don't know weather to be excited or scared s%#&*ss. The bill is just around the corner.  :(

LJ-TJ

The reason I'm doing this is to give those who follow a base line on what it might cost them should they find themselves in the same boat as Lauren and I. There are many ways that money can be saved on a project such as this. But it will give you an honest idea what it would cost. I'm sure many will under stand, didn't want to do it, can't afford to do it, but it had to be done.  :-[

jkilbert

looking really good.  one other thing to consider before a rebuild is, what do you want out of the engine. do you want the basic rings, bearings and gasket rebuild or the full out machine everything with new internals rebuild. also don't forget that summit racing, jegs and others sell complete engines for close to the cost of a rebuild.
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

LJ-TJ

All really good points especially the crate engines. I think they were getting up around $4,000.00. In my case I wanted to physically see what I was getting. Also I went stock because I wanted it bullet proof. I'm a great lover of stock 318, 283, 289, 327 etc. for reliability.

fabricator john

did you guys go with a diffrent intake manifold and waterpump arrangement? the motor in the first pics the w/p feeds into the heads directly and in the new ones the timing cover looks diffrent and looks like the pump feeds the block first and the water crossover is in the intake,a la car motor. why did this change ?is that a aluminum manifold? if so what parts are crossing over....from reg, car motors?.......................fabricator john 73 d-18 brave

LJ-TJ

Hey John, good eye. We didn't change the intake manifold. We did change the timing chain cover for two reasons. 1) I don't know what I'm doing or how things fit in the motor home so when I saw that the timing chain cover on the 1972 318 was taller and the 1974 timing chain cover was shorter I chickened out and put in the shorter timing chain cover. Also the 1972 timing chain cover is cast and the 1974 is aluminum. With the 1972 you have to change the oil seal from in side the timing chain cover where on the 1974 you can change it from out side on the front of the cover. If I had of stayed with the 1972 timing chain cover I would have had to change the pulley's and belts because of the difference in heights. Also on the 1972 the timing chain markings were on the passangar side of the motor and on a separate piece of metal were on the shorter 1974 timing chain cover  timing markings are cast right into the aluminum on the drivers side. So like I said earlier since I don't know what I'm doing I just keep looking at my old motor and keep trying to make my new one look the same so everything fits. Hope this helps.  Hm?  T.J.

fabricator john

TJ ......the tall one is the same as my 73 is ,probbably a good move on your part anyways beacause im is probbably alot easier to get a water pump when your cruisin through "resume speed" arizona,,, do the heads interchange whith any other dodge stuff? if so will the intake ,cam etc....?     your doing a great job keep it up!!!!!!!   fabricator john

LJ-TJ

Well, Don't know. But I'll be going back up to the machine shop Thursday or Friday as this weekend is a holiday weekend in Canada and the boys won't be back until Tuesday. We've had one hick-up and that is the new two barrel cab hasn't come in yet. So when I go up towards the end of the week and I'll asks the boys?

Froggy1936

Two will do, But 4 means MORE (if you need it) Horsepower & omphh  And you can still operate on 2 for mileage   You may find me but you wont catch me   ;) Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

LJ-TJ

Well she made it to the test stand this morning and the boys figure she'll be ready to run tomorrow or Friday. That's when I get to find out how much I've spent. Get out the paddles.

LJ-TJ

Well I've never put one of these things in before so I guess there's a first time for everything. Wish me luck. If your interested I'll keep taking pictures of the whole process?  Hm?

LJ-TJ

Winnies in.
Well today was the big day. We fired her for the first time.  :)clap

LJ-TJ

Getting her ready to load....final run  :laugh:

LJ-TJ

Well with a deep breath I started D:oH!  First step was to lift the front end. so I built a couple of ramps out of some junk railroad ties and some spare two by six's.   Lift was about 10"

LJ-TJ

LJ-TJ

The next challenge was how am I going to keep track of all the parts. How's three different sizes of Ziploc bags,hospital tape, Sharpie and zip ties.

LJ-TJ

First thing I removed was the 4 bolts that hold the bumper on and removed the bumper.