Power Steering belt Installation, Dodge 440

Started by wizardbill, May 09, 2010, 03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wizardbill

Another question!  I got my power steering belt.  How do I get it on???  The main pulley does not move.  The pulley above it does not move.  The power steering pulley is not adjustable, either.  How can I get the belt on???

wizardbill

Whew, I found it. The slide is down on the bottom front, motor side on the power steering pump. You are correct that it is not going to slide very much. I am not sure that it is even going to be enough to get the belt to go on.

JDxeper

i believe that there are two belts size 48" and one 48 1/2"
JD
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

DaveVA78Chieftain

If you have a 77 chassis, the  Dodge P/N is 2658391  Gates P/N 7490 (49 x ,375 x 36 degrees)
If you have a 78 chassis, the  Dodge P/N is 4106203 Gates P/N 7419

Dave
[move][/move]

wizardbill

Hmmm.  I got the part number (I think from Dilbert).  I got the belt.  It seems about two inches too short.  I got the power steering pump to go as far down as it is going to go.  The belt just seems short. 

ibdilbert01

Dave posted the P/N.   When it comes to belts, I just take the old one in and have them size it. 

But looking above at Daves post, hes got Two Gates belts listed, the 7490 is a 49" belt, the 7419 is a 42" belt.    Perhaps you have the 42" and need the 49"?
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

DaveVA78Chieftain

73-77 use 2658391
78 and up can get confusing in the manual
There are multiple configurations.
You may need to save the pics to your hard drive in order to read them.

Dave 

[move][/move]