440 plug wire heat shields

Started by Clyde9, November 15, 2008, 09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 3/10/2008 12:49 AM

I decided to start another thread for this question so it would be searchable on its own. I need a set of spark plug heat shields for my 1976 440. I do not have any photos or images depicting the stock shields, so I'm wondering if any replacements will work?

As always, thanks all!

Sent: 3/10/2008 1:55 AM

I used a tube with a woven "asbestos" like material with a reflective coating on the outside.  I cut them so that they covered the boots out past the manifolds. Then they slip over the boots. The spark plug wires and boots have stayed like new with these covers.  I got them at a parts store up here but I think they're probably available at any speed shop.  Rick

Sent: 3/10/2008 2:09 AM
Thanks for the reply Rick,

Just to clarify, are you using the woven covers in conjunction with the stock heat shields or because your heat shields are missing like mine? If it is the latter this might be an easier solution!  Thanks,

Dave

Sent: 3/11/2008 7:26 PM

Pictures of the heat shield have been added to my album.  Looks like the 3rd item listed on the above posting.  With this type of shield, there shouldn't be any problems with heat damage.

Sent: 3/12/2008 5:53 AM

Thanks for posting the photos. I'm going to try to find a stock set as the after merket piece doesn't seem to cover the top as well as yours. On a related note, I called MSD and they are going to send me some free boots and boot shields, so A+ for their customer service if they pull through.

Sent: 3/12/2008 5:58 AM

In looking at your photos again, isn't the first after merket shield (1970 and up) more similar? I think it is upside down in the photo (?)

Sent: 3/12/2008 11:35 PM

here is my experience...

Our motor home used to get so hot around the engine cover and floor boards that it used to smell like burning carpet, and it would hurt our feet.-The rubber seal around the engine cover and melted in several places.

My MSD boots also started to melt.

Then I installed Heddman headers. Now the engine cover is only warm to the touch, and no more spark wire issues.

The increase in power and fuel economy is also quite a bonus.

-just a thought.

Jay

Sent: 3/13/2008 1:02 AM

I will keep this in mind as I always wanted headers on this engine, but in the interest of saving money in the short term I'm going to have to let the engine builder work out a solution with the stock manifolds, as he took responsibility for the plug boot issue and should be done tomorrow. He swears by a certain type of slip-on asbestos-type plug boot shield so I'm guessing he expects me to be a guinea pig on my next trip to see if these will be enough (i.e. plug boot shields without the stock heat shields reinstalled). At some point I should receive a set of boots and shields gratis from MSD as well, so I can also try those.

Regarding the stock heat shields--which are no doubt a proven solution--can they be installed without removing the exhaust manifolds? Based on the photos posted by 75Travco it looks like it would be a tight fit. I'm wondering if this might relate to the alternative solution (that is, the plug boot shields) that has been suggested?

Sent: 3/15/2008 9:59 AM

The exhaust manifold must be removed to install the stock heat shield.  This provides the necessary clearance to remove the two cylinder head bolts that retain the shield.  I looked up the part number - Dodge #2951 347 - and a Google search had a few hits.  One indicated it was still available through Chrysler @ $16.95.

I have no experience with headers.  In 2006 year I installed a stock Y-pipe (from Walker exhaust) and fabricated the rest of a 2-1/2" single system.  Works fine, plenty of clearance in the engine and transmission area, no heat issues although the engine cover does get warm.  The previous system was dual pipes; I remember removing about 50' of rusted pipe, elbows, hangers and mufflers - it filled the better part of a pickup bed!