Generator-Kipor (Chinese) Honda EU series knock-offs from RV.net discussion

Started by mightybooboo, May 04, 2010, 08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightybooboo

Sent: 3/28/2005

This link goes to an 8 page discussion on rv.net about the Kipors gennies.They are copies of the Honda EU series,about 300 dollars  less.They point out that the Chinese make many parts in the name brand gennies already.Maybe not quite as good as a Honda EU,but they have some true owner/user reports.Very interesting if you are considering this Kipor brand chinese genny.They may be a viable less cost option.

www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15131645.cfm

BooBoo 

DaveVA78Chieftain

I will let Sob give you guys his unbiased opinion on my Pepboys ELIM3000 this weekend when I am there to convert his rig back to electronic ignition.
I am happy with it however, I have not clearly determined if it provides 3000 watts on a single 110VAC circuit.  I had them open the box before I bought one and discovered that one of the circuit breakers was defective (would not stay engaged).  I opened another and made sure it was ok.  The 110VAC sockets are not that tight fitting.  I have plans to install it in my gen compartment this summer so would be rewiring it anyway.  I am using it 4hrs/night, 4 nights a week right now. It starts on the first pull, does not exhibit a lot of vibration (mounted to rear bumper), is not that loud, and only uses 2 gals of gas for that period of time each week.

Dave
[move][/move]

mightybooboo

This is from RV.Net discussion. Very indepth.They point out the Chinese build lots of parts for name brand gennies now,talk about a genny at 3000 watts for 229 dollars at Pep Boys.  Not  a super quiet genny,but not  industrail noise either.Food for thought,excellent discussion.  Are the Chinese on to something good?

BooBoo 

mightybooboo

Sent: 3/29/2005

Ok,who hired Gomer Pyle to correct my links?

Kipor(8 page link)  is www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15210127.cfm

Chinese gennies(elim3000 and such,18 page link) is www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15131645.cfm

Say Goodnight,Gracie.
Goober Pyle

Oz

"Sorry, Charlie.  Only the best tasting dolphins get to be Starkist!"
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

mightybooboo

"I have plans to install it in my gen compartment this summer so would be rewiring it anyway. "

One guys idea is to mount it in the compartment on a slide out tray.Insures good cooling by pulling it out about a foot from the compartment.
Great idea,eh?

BooBoo

DaveVA78Chieftain

Wish I had that option Boo.  I only have a small access door.  Genny has to be removed/installed from underneath the rig using some form of a lift (transmission or motorcycle jack) to access.  Will have to use a radiator fan for ventalation.  Will mount on springs (antivibration) and add some more noise isolation panels.  Still have to work out exhaust details though.  I bought a female 30 amp RV pigtail today (Campingworld) that I will wire directly to the 110VAC power receptical rather than use the dogbone discussed in the RV.net thread.  That way I can plug my 30 amp RV plug directly in to it without all the extra stuff.

Dave
[move][/move]

mightybooboo

Lefty

Sent: 3/31/2005

Booboo, the original Onan Gensets had an engine mounted cooling fan that was ducted via a scoop to the bottom. It drew fresh air in through the louvers on the access door.

Pulling the genset out via the sliding tray that the Onan was installed on will work to keep it from overheating, but an easier method would be to install an electric cooling fan to the inside of the access door. You could wire it up so that it came on when the genset was running, and shuts off when you turn off the genset.

Although since the Onan, by design, ducted the air over the unit for cooling, you may need to figure out how to get the airflow from the fan to actually pass over the engine. and some provision would have to be made for exhausting the heated air. Just an idea. Lefty
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sent: 4/28/2005

BooBoo,

Well as the saying goes, alls well that ends well.  Installed the ELIM3000 in my generator compartment.  For cooling I closed in the sides of it with aluminum flashing and installed a electric car radiator fan to blow air from the outside through the generator frame and exhaust out the original hole in the bottom of the compartment baseplate.  Attached an exhaust extension (exits down through the same hole as the air exhaust) so it exits out the back with the 440 exhaust pipes.  Installed a electric fuel pump to the original aux tank tap off.  Direct wired (from back of ELIM3000 110VAC recepticle) it into the original RV system  (uses the change shorepower/generator plugs around method).  Works great is all I can say.   Have used it many days at several hours a day.  Noise with these type of generators is from the engine itself, not the exhaust.  I also installed insulation to help reduce the noise.  Actually, the noise from the electric fuel pump (clickity clack, clickity clack) is more annoying than the drone generator.  Even mounted the darn pump on rubber which reduced it but still can hear it.  Mounting the generator on springs eliminates any vibration from it.

Dave
[move][/move]