Edelbrock Carburator Throttle and Transmission Kick Down Linkages

Started by Clyde9, November 14, 2008, 11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 12/7/2004 7:11 AM

Excerpt from "Very Little or No Vacuum" Discussion by  HeavyHaulTrucker:

"When I installed the new carb, no one had the transmission kickdown linkage adapter; it was not mentioned in the installation instructions, only a throttle adapter.  So I "modified" the existing kickdown linkage to work on the new carb by bending the slotted bracket that connects the throttle lever on the carb to the kickdown linkage's U-pivot mounted on the manifold."

Sent: 12/6/2004 2:13 PM

Guys,

Can I ask a big favour, can you all post the part numbers for these linkage conversions that you have USED.  I stress used as being in the UK I want to be sure that I order the correct linkage for my Edelbrock.

When I service the transmission I want to have the correct linkage in place such that I can then do all the proper adjustments as per the book.  Seeing as there is a "throttle" linkage to the tranny I guess if this is incorrectly adjusted then shifts may be in the wrong place which may in turn hurt economy and cause the tranny to overheat.

Thanks in advance
Ian...

Sent: 12/6/2004 6:06 PM

The next time I use the Winny I think I will disconnect the transmission linkage and lay it to one side -- just to see if that has any effect on the up shift points.
Mine has never down shifted from me putting the pedal all the way down - at any speed. I have pulled it into 2nd when I wanted to accelerate from 15 or 20 mph. On an upgrade I pull the lever into 2nd if I feel the need, which is usually on side roads in the hills of the eastern states. I seldom get opportunities to drive in the mountains of the western states, but the same would apply: Including going down the longer/steeper hills in 2nd.
I am currently happy with the up shift points too. I would say it goes from 1st to 2nd about 12 mph, and from 2nd into 3rd about 25 mph. I am seldom in a hurry when I start out with the Winny.

Sent: 12/6/2004 6:56 PM

Dave,

When I fitted my Edelbrock back in the spring I didn't see what I was doing wrong with the linkage as it all just seemed to fit, but the "throttle" linkage to the tranny was just running in the slot and didn't move.  The upshot was that the tranny shifted to 3rd straight away and bogged the engine.  The linkage setup I have at the moment is just a bodge to get things working which is why I'm still keen to get the proper parts.

I reckon one part is EDL 1481 (Summit) but a kickdown part was talked about and I cant find a number for that.

Cheers Ian...

Sent: 12/6/2004 10:47 PM

Denison -- Third gear is shot.  It is slipping so badly, all I can get out of the old girl is 55 mph ar 3500 rpm; if I have a downhill, I can get her up to 65 or 70, but she will slow down again on level ground.  On even a mild rise (such as a freeway overpass), she loses 5 mph or more.  I think I will be ordering that JC Whitney rebuild kit soon -- but before I do, I think that I will check fuel pressure as you suggested.  BTW -- don't just lay the kickdown lever aside.  If you are going to disconnect the linkage, wire it back about 3/4 of the way; I have read many articles that have said that running with the linkage either disconnected or tied forward can damage the tranny.

Ian -- The kick down adapter you need is Edelbrock part number 8022 along with the throttle adapter you already mentioned.  The adapter goes upright; one end replaces the slotted bracket on the U-pivot, and the slotted bracket bolts onto it in the hole that works best for your manifold height (the adapter is designed to be used with any height manifold/ carb setup).  You can adjust the angle between the two parts to give you the proper kick down adjustment while raising the linkage to accommodate the higher carb linkage on the Edelbrock.  BTW -- I did not actually use theirs; I fabricated my own based on their pictures -- same thing, same results

Sent: 12/7/2004 7:15 AM

To bipass all linkage problems get a Summitt racing catalog and order the Lokar kick down cable & brkt for mopar 727. It works beautiful.

Bill

Sent: 12/7/2004 7:22 AM

I will be eager to hear how it is to rebuild the 727.  I have a spare 727 transmission of the right type, but havent started on it.  I am pretty good at procrastination.

Sent: 12/7/2004 9:34 AM

restaholic said,
"...purchase a "Lokar" kickdown cable and bracket. It works great!!"

Oh my God, now this group has ESP!    I was just thinking about asking if anyone had any experience with these kickdown lever replacements!

John

Sent: 3/21/2008 3:04 PM

Maybe I can get your opinions.

Kinda got an interesting issue going on. Until recently, I assumed I had a 318. To My surprise, I have a 340-7. (I know for a fact its not original, it had a 318 originally.) The engine does run smooth, starts almost always first try. But to me it seems a bit weak. I remember a few years ago it seemed sluggish even on slight inclines. I would like to pull a lite vehicle someday, maybe a wrangler and I fear it just doesn't have enough get up and go.

New to the 340, I did some research and found out that Chrysler never offered the 340 in a truck. My 340 has a 2bb carter carb. on it, and I am told that was never an option for the 340 as well. The engine is date stamped 72, a year that the compression was decreased to 8.5.

I've been looking into throttlebody conversions, and I simply can't find a lot of information on them. Last night I toyed around the idea of just replacing it with a 4bb carb. looks like I can get a complete conversion kit for around 500 bucks from summit (elderbrock).

I figure it will probably decrease my gas millage, but I'm also going to install a new tranny in the next few months, I will be installing a 518 to take advantage of overdrive, that should help on gas in the long run.

So should I just dump the 340? I have a 360-5 (2bb) sitting in my garage that I have no idea what it came off of, I was told it was a 318 and ran well. But seeing how its actually a 360, doubt I trust the people it came from to say it does run well. I could rebuild it, but then I'm wondering how hard it is to get an engine in one of these winnies. Can they be put in from below?

Sent: 3/21/2008 3:37 PM

With most Winnies, you can take the engine out the front. You remove the front bumper, the grille slats and the 'door' of slat, then pull the radiator out - - and you are looking at the front of the motor, at waist level. If you had the front wheels up on ramps or blocks, you could do much of the work without bending over.
The 2nd way shown in the manual is to have the Winny raised on very tall stands, (like 4 or 5 ft) undoing the front axle at one end of the springs and letting it hand down from the spring shackles; then lowering the engine (and tranny if you like) on a comprehensive engine support.
The 3rd way is with an unusually long cantilever - lifting it and backing it out through the entry door.
If you pull it from the front, the tranny can come with it - but you would need a way to support the rear end of the tranny part of the way.
I would expect the 360/318 would bolt right up to a 727 tranny, but I have no idea about 518's.
I suppose having the engine turn slower would help gas mileage some - on flat ground. If you want to drive it in rolling hills, or in the rockies, the old 3 speed 727 handles thing nicely, and is known to be durable.
When we are cruising at 60 mph, the drive shaft is turning about 2800 rpm, & the 413 engine turning about 3000 rpm. Thats with the 4.56 axle ratio. It could be that some M300s with the 318 had a 4.88 rear axle ratio.
The way mine is, has worked so well for so many years that I dont plan to change it.
To bad the 340 didn't come with a 'truck' cam. The torque peak on my 413 is about 2700 rpm. Though its not much of a peak, the torque being fairly 'flat'.
Oh, my Winnie has its original unrebuilt 727 at 103,000 miles & 36 years old. I have towed cars with the thing from time to time; nothing bigger than a minivan. Towing east of the Mississippi is no problem. I havent towed anything in the rockies, I don't know how that is.

Sent: 3/21/2008 4:45 PM

Sounds to me like pulling it through the front might be the way to go. 
I probably should just rebuild the 360 and stick in in there.   

My understanding is the 518 is very similar with the same gear ratio as the 727 but with overdrive.   Heres one site that tells a little about the conversion.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/SwapInformation.htm

It just seemed to me the engine was screaming rpms when heading down the highway.  Maybe I'll take it for a little joy ride this weekend and see how badly shes screaming at 65.