Lose of low end power.

Started by Clyde9, November 14, 2008, 11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 8/22/2007 8:16 PM

I have a 77 23ft. with a 440 and it runs great once I get it moving.I replaced the carburetor $277.00 Still have the problem.Been told it is my Torque converter.Has any one any ideas or had this problem.Sure don't want to replace it to and find out it's not the problem.Looking for some help eagleD

Sent: 8/22/2007 9:57 PM

Your problem is not one with any easy diagnosis that I know of. Aside from checking that your ignition timing is correct at an idle and advances with rpm - and that you have decent compression in most cylinders, I dont know a good way to ensure the engine is producing the correct power at low rpm.
I can understand your getting advised it was a bad torque converter - since it does seem to match the symptoms, but I think torque converter failure is fairly rare in motor homes.
You could do the 'converter stall' test that is in the Service Manual, in the transmission section. This might indicate whether you have a torque converter problem. For the 440 it lists the 'stall speed' as being 1975-2275 rpm. It says if the stall speed is exceeded by more than 200 rpm, transmission clutch slippage is indicated. And if stall speeds are 250-350 rpm -Below- the specified rpm, but the vehicle runs fine once up to highway speed - it would indicate a slipping stator one-way clutch (inside the torque converter).
Before I would remove the tranny, I would drop the tranny pan and replace the filter and a few quarts of ATF, and add a can of 'sea foam' 'transmission tune' - and drive it around in the hope it will begin to behave as it should.

Sent: 9/13/2007 8:34 PM

Well I found my problem, Torque Converter was bad. It had an 11" in it and the shop I took it to recommended going to a 12" So I did. Took them 7 hours to do it and cost $763.00 but im back on the road again. They even said with the 12" torque converter I might get a little bit better gas milege,that would be nice as I have only been getting 5 m.p.g. eagleD