Battery acid replacement

Started by MSN Member, March 26, 2010, 03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerry

Sent: 4/13/2001

Hello,

I recently bought 2 new 6 volt batteries for my 72 Brave.  The problem is that I had them in the back of my car for a day or two and one tipped over and spilled out alot of the acid.  I panicked and refilled the battery with distilled water.  I want to know if this was the correct action to take or not.  If not is there anything else I could do rectify this situation.  The batteries seem to be working fine but as of yet I haven't tested them yet. I am worried that this might shorten the life of the battery. 

I am grateful for any response,

Kerry

HAL

Sent: 4/13/2001

HI kerry
By just adding water to your battery, you have not done anything about the acid. You can go to any auto parts store and buy new battery acid. They will gadly help you with informantion about replaceing the liquide in the battery Good luck  Harold

beach

Sent: 6/9/2002

Do you have a fridg that runs 3 ways ac battery and propane we had a problem that the fridg was suppose to change to gas but it keep on killing the coach batteries so we had the board taken out of it and surprise no more dead batteries

chip

Sent: 6/9/2002

you're fine. the water will react with plates in the battery when you apply a charge. the result will be battery acid all over again. adding acid will speed up the process. just trickle charge till the specific gravity is up to specs. clean the ever-lovin sh!@#$% out of your trunk though.