Brakes....Brake Pedal Return Springs

Started by Clyde9, November 14, 2008, 10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 12/4/2006 11:25 AM

HELP!, Hey Guys,
   I'm trying to find a new brake pedal re-turn spring and extention. EXTENTION 5-34-8 as well as SPRING 5-34-1 pg 5-9 of the Motor Home Chassis Parts Catalog. The Spring extention is part number 3641 516. The Spring part number is53 753. These numbers were taken from page 5-11 of the Motor Home Chassis Parts Catalog and are for a 1975 Bago. Any help would be very appreciated.  Thanks.   T.J.

Sent: 12/4/2006 12:17 PM

Those parts are pretty rusty on mine also. I would think a decent hardware store (like in an agricultural area) would carry a line of springs, one of which would be close enough to replace yours.
They might also have some steel wire or rod that was stronger than mild steel. I have already replaced the section of wire called the 'extension', with a piece of heavy steel wire that I could only bend into an 'eyelet' using my acetylene torch. It was only 1/8th dia. but was strong stuff.
My Winnie also had a little bracket holding the other end of the spring. That looked like it was near to failing, so I replaced it with a 2" length of 3/4" by 1/8ths" bar stock; just drilled holes to match the old one.
My rule; if I can get the new spring on without a scraped knuckle and some swearing, then its probably not strong enough.
And now that you have reminded me of it, I still need to get a new spring to replace my rusty one. Having 2 Winnies with the same chassis, I will of course get 2 springs.

Sent: 12/8/2006 9:18 AM

Brads'nos.com had both the 563 753 spring and the 2914 465 extension for my Glastron, which is on a 1969 M300 chassis.  Looks like the spring was the same for all of the chassis models, but several different extensions were used.  Only a few dollars, one of those cases where the shipping is the most expensive part.  A hardware store spring and a fabricated extension would work just as well.

I'm staying on the computer longer than usual, gathering the courage to go outside - it's 25 degrees with a fair wind here in Maryland.