Onan 6.5 Generator Won't Shut Down!

Started by W0X0F, March 22, 2010, 10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W0X0F

Sent: 1/25/2005 

Has anyone experienced the problem that I'm having with my generator? When testing the gen-set (onan 6.5) it was found that it would not stop (shut-down). When I try to shut it down the generator would slow like it was shutting off but would continue to crank (like when you push the start switch). to disable the cranking I remove the ignition fuse. The model number on the generator is: 3CR/12014D and the serial number is: 0774 836139. There is a stencil on the cover that houses the start/stop switch and fuses that states "Modified to wiring diagram 611 1157".

Any ideas?

Thanks
Herb

Rick Shaw

I had a problem with my 4.0 on my Brave.   Did the same thing you are talking about.   I did the same thing.....removed the ignition fuse....to shut it down.   They told me something about a board.   I believe they meant the whole panel that the rocker switch is on.   There are about 17 or more wires plugged into the backside of it.   They told me that it would be about $129.00 to have a new one shipped to me.   Is this an onan?   

Slantsixness

It's the solenoid inside the green switch box cover.
Careful.... it's not a Ford Starter relay, but it looks like one! (it works opposite of what you might think)
Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

HeavyHaulTrucker

I have a 4 kw Kohler that did that.  On it, the genset controller uses a relay that looks like an old Ford starter relay that feeds current into the generator temporarily to turn it into a starter -- it does not use a conventional starter motor.  When mine did that, it turned out that the relay had stuck closed so that even after the engine started, the generator was still functioning as a motor and dragging down the generator side.  Have you checked your line AC voltage?  Is it down around 80 volts?  If so, then I would be willing to bet that your problem is similar -- even though the parts & wiring may be a bit different.

The cure for mine was to replace the relay (I had to actually use a Ford starter relay, and slightly rewire the switching circuit -- they want over $100.00 for the Kohler version of that relay!) -- your wiring may be a bit different, but I would bet your problem is in the starting circuit.

John