Generator starts only if I hold in the start button then stops when released

Started by MSN Member, March 16, 2010, 09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fcwife

Sent: 7/26/2005 

My generator will start as long as I hold the start button.  I am sure I am not doing something right, just not sure what that is.  I have a 1987 Winnebago Chieftain.  I believe it is original generator.  Any hints are welcome.

denisondc

Yours being much newer probably works different from my 72, but to start mine I have to hold the button down for the time it takes to get spinning and begin to putter - perhaps 5 to 8 seconds. If I just pushed once on the button and let go, the genset would not start. The button on the dashboard is a rocker switch, & I have to hold it in the other position for perhaps 20 seconds for it to stop; it takes a little time to stop turning completely.
There is a start/stop switch on the genset itself, and the procedure is the same. I hold it up for 5 to 8 seconds while it starts. To stop it, I hold the lever down until the thing has completely stopped rotating.

fcwife

Yes I hold the button but as soon as I let go it stops...no matter how long I hold the start button.  Is there something that has to be done to make it keep running?

ClydesdaleKevin

We've got a new Generac generator, and its a LONG way from the fuel tank to the generator.  Even with a new generator, if we haven't started it in a while, we have to hold the start button down a while for it to start.  Ours has a "prime" button as well, which actuates the fuel pump for a while to get fuel down the lines, so it starts easy even after sitting.

But you have to consider this:  Your fuel tanks are in the front, and the generator is in the back.  Even with good fuel lines and a clean filter, it takes a while for the fuel to fill the line and get to the generator.  If it will start and takes a VERY long time of holding the start button down, you might want to replace your fuel line running from the tank to the generator.  If they get old and dryrotted, they become pourous, and it takes a lot longer for the hose to prime (fill with fuel).  If they become VERY old and dryrotted, the genset won't even start, because all the suction created by your fuel pump will just be sucking in air through the pourous hose.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

fcwife

Sent: 7/27/2005

Does the power line have to be plugged into the generator plug in order for the generator to keep running?  Is there anything that needs to be done prior to starting the generator to keep it running?

tiinytina

Sent: 7/30/2005

Morning,
   I'm about to purchase the same model 1987 Chieftan you have. (that is if the guy brings the price down if it needs things in order to pass MD inspection). The generator was demonstrated to me when I went to look at it. My friend simply held the switch until it kicked in, then it ran like a top. Sounds like you have a fuel issue, I would try putting some dry gas into the gas tank (Fuel injector cleaner type stuff), and maybe some Stabil (sp?) if the gas in the tank is not fresh.  Sounds like the starter is fine and its trying to crank over but lacks the fuel to keep going.
   Since I have not gotten mine and it will probably need tires, could you look at what size yours runs? I want to start shopping for them and or get my local mechanic to order them for me since he is a friend and will get them at cost....
Cheers
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

firebug911

Sent: 7/31/2005

On some of the older onans, They have a board in them that keeps them from running if they are not generating a voltage... When you hold the start button in, it by passes this feature to let it start... Do you get an output voltage when the button is held in?

heynnema

Sent: 8/6/2005

Is this an Onan?

I had the exact same problem. Your gen is not putting out any/enough voltage to keep itself running.

My fix was a new regulator. This is located inside, under a mass of wires, behind the gen-mounted control panel. An Onan tech has a tool to test these things. To replace is approx $400+.

SenorLoco112

Sent: 8/16/2005

I had an Onan 4k genset in my 1984 Winnebago. Similar problem, turned out to be the control board. There is a circuit and relay (the HOLD relay) that has to energize to keep running. Mine was bad due to salt air corroding board.

Replaced board and that fixed it!

Daniel

chieftain31

Sent: 8/21/2005

I also have a Chieftain - '87.  I have to hold the start button (dash button or the button on the unity) until it takes off.  Usually a few seconds. Once it fires, it is good to go.  My mechanic says that the critical issues are:
clean filters (air, fuel & oil)
timely oil changes
regular use - on this point it is my understanding that the generator should be started and put under load on a regular basis. We don't use it a lot since we are usually on land line power.  Anyone else have input on this point?
Have you had the switch itself checked out? 
Chieftain31