Engine is difficult to re-start when warm.

Started by lacollins4, March 11, 2010, 07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lacollins4

Ok this may be a dumb question but humor me. I have the same instrument panel as 77brave. You can see it his gallery. Before you crank her over, you are suppose to press that button for 15 seconds. My mechanic had never seen anything like that and neither have I. What does it do?
Also, after she's been running and warmed up, if i try to start her again, I have some problems. I pump the pedal to give it gas then crank. It usually takes me several tries. We rebuilt the carb and put a new starter. Is this normal in this engine? I always worry about her starting after she's warm. She always does but not sure why she just doesn't just start up again. My mechanic says it could be these types of engines but i don't know. BTW its the 440-3

Oz

I had this same problem with the WinneBeast.  In that particular case, it was because the ignition coil was old and it was overheating.  Look at how close it is to the top of the engine, less than half and inch away.  I replaced it and used a bracket which gave it 2" of clearance.  That solved the problem.  However, it's not the only possiblility, I'll leave those to the others to explore.

440s are "cold blooded" and may take a few cranks to wake-up, especialy on cold days.  But, once warm, your engine should start within about 3 seconds of turning the key.

The button on your dash activates a pump which injects fresh air into your tires, ensuring that any stale air is expelled, preventing hazardous blowouts at highway speeds.... no... not really... it's a remote whiskey dispenser... no... not really... No clue what the button is for.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

RV Mech Tech

C'mon Mark - you know very well that's the Nitrous Oxide button !!!   :)rotflmao

DaveVA78Chieftain

It's a pause for 15 second #$%^&* button.
On a more serious note, it's simply a user convience button that allows you to check the engine oil level so you do not have to use the oil level dip stick.  In the 70's, we still had full service gas stations so you didn't have to get out of your vehicle.  The sensor is mounted to the drivers side of the oil pan.  When sitting at the gas pump with key in the OFF position,  there is no voltage to the engine sensors.  So, you press the button for 15 seconds to apply voltage to the oil level sensor and it tells you if you need to check your engine oil.
You also have on that gauge panel:
Engine water level indicator (sensor mounted to top of radiator below cap)
Transmission fluid level indicator (sensor mounted in transmission oil dip stick)
Transmission oil temperature gauge (sensor at radiator cooling line connection)
All 3 require the engine to be ON and warmed up.

Dave

[smg id=283]
[move][/move]

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

lacollins4

So I had my mechanic look closer at the problem and although  I rebuilt the carb last year. He says its probably the float in the carb. Should I swap out the carb? I saw the edelbrock 750 on ebay. They had one used for $125. Should I buy used or new? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oz

Beware of what you're going to get on eBay.  You could get it, but you don't know what you're getting, really.  If you want to get one, your much better off getting a rebuild from Summit or JEGS (got mine from Summit).

Ask your mechanic what condition the current carb is in.  Have him actually check it.  No sense in chucking money out on a "maybe".  What would it cost to rebuild yours?  What size cfm is it?  If it's smaller than a 750, you may want to upgrade... or you may want a 650cfm for better economy.

Again, find out what the problem actually is before buying stuff, unless you got the extra money and would like a new carb, whether it fixes the problem or not.

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

lacollins4

I had the carb rebuilt last year and it is the original thermoquad.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]