Advice on Fuel pump for Generac generator

Started by MSN Member, March 08, 2010, 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldbag373861

Sent: 8/15/2005 

I have a new smaller Generac generator to replace my old Onan, and would like to run it off of my old fuel line. Any ideas for a small electric fuel pump to draw fuel from the tank? I know they used to make some small plastic, flat ones because I had one on an old VW bus years ago, but all the ones I see in auto stores now seem to be high pressure units. 

HeavyHaulTrucker

Sent: 8/16/2005

I have seen some small, 5 psi size units at O'Reilley Auto Parts for around $30. If you can't find a low pressure unit, you could also just put a pressure regulator in the line to cut it down.

Auto Zone has a small 2 psi electric fuel pump; I don't remember the part number, but it is around $35. If I remember right, it is a generic part.

John

Oldbag373861

Sent: 8/16/2005

Thanks John. I couldn't find any such animal on-line at AutoZone. I checked NAPA, CarQuest and Schucks locally (our only franchises here) and none had any low pressure units. What kind of regulator would you put on the fuel line?

HeavyHaulTrucker

Sent: 8/17/2005

I used the fuel pressure regulator made by Mr. Gasket, and set it at 2 psi... worked fine. The regulator is usually in the aftermarket performance section at Auto Zone and O'Reilley's.

John

Oldbag373861

Sent: 9/2/2005 

Well, I finally got a little electric fuel pump to feed my Generac genset from the coach fuel tank