Source for M400 Brake Rotors?

Started by MSN Member, November 14, 2008, 09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 10/4/2006 3:07 PM

Hi,

I am new to the wonderful world of parts sourcing for my recently acquired 1977 Winnebago Chieftain. Seems I can locate most of the steering and brakes I may need, but the M400 brake rotors seem to be eluding me. Through some recent internet research, I seem to have noticed the the "hard to find" rotors are the 1977 model only? Are there other year M400 chassis that accept the same front rotors. Raybestos lists front rotors that fit the 1978-81 chassis. Will those fit?

I also have noticed the highway robbers wanting 300 dollars or more for these rotors.That is INSANE! Is the 1977 M400 chassis different because it has single piston calipers? This is becoming frustrating!!
HELP!!!! Does anyone have a picture of these things? HELP!!!

Thanks ,

Greg Miller

Sent: 10/4/2006 3:52 PM

Sorry I dont have the answer to your questions, but $300 for a rotor is only out-of-line if you can find them cheaper. To find them cheaper, start calling salvage yards, asking if they have any dodge chassis motorhomes made around that year. You will need to know the diameter of the rotor and the description of the caliper, and the yard probably wont know if what they have will fit - so take an old one with you.
They will probably cost less if you harvest them from a junker yourself. Thats how I got the spare parts for my 72 M400 drum brakes: Several days spent sweating in junkyards, dealing with blackberry briers, ticks & mosquitos (Pa), mosquitos and Copperheads (Ark), and red ants & black widow spiders(Tx).

Sent: 10/4/2006 6:25 PM

Try Geoff at Alretta... in the Resource Section.  - Sob

Sent: 10/6/2006 11:35 AM

Year model is not the issue.  There are 4 different types (Autospecialty new P/Ns):

M300 - AR8703

5 bolt - AR8710

6 bolt - AR8712

8 bolt - AR8711

A 77 M400 chassis (like mine) would use 8 lug 17.5" tubeless rims. I will look up my source for rotors and pass it on tomorrow.  The rotor cost was $225 (new) a couple of years ago. You have to purchase them from a truck dealer.  There is a few used parts dealers that occasionally have them. That used RV salvage place in Arizona did have pictures of them on their web site at one time. Prices varied from $225 to $350 a couple of years ago.  New was cheaper than used. Originally, they were made by TRW.  Auto specialty had the builders rights.  Not sure if they still do or not. You will need a very heavy duty air impact wrench to break loose the bolts holding the rotor to the hub. I had to take mine to a shop for that.  Took them less than 10 minutes to loosen them. You most likely have a 77 Winne on a 76 chassis though.  Still the same set up I believe. Mine has the power breaks driven from the power steering pump rather than vacuum boosters. Be sure to clean the caliper runners. The metal to metal runway can result in the calipers binding up. The pads (style number 7020A) do have rivets in them.  Make sure they do not get worn down into the rivets. I seem to recall NAPA carries the pads.  Around $40.  The rotors can be turned.  Minimum width of 1.485" (value is also cast into the rotor).

BTW, NAPA carries many brake parts for 77 M400.  You gotta get them to find the brake parts book though.  Info is not available online.

Dave

Sent: 10/7/2006 8:03 AM

Auto specialty went out of business 18 months ago. There is no one else making these parts today except Alretta. Please call Alretta and we will help end your suffering... (gulp)

Yours Genially,

Geoff

Alretta Truck Parts Inc.
508-788-9409

PS: Chrysler wanted $450 per rotor several years ago when last they had them (inquiring minds will want to know!)

Sent: 10/7/2006 9:27 PM

I didn't want to say, "I told you so." but, ummm.... I told you so.

- Sob

Sent: 10/9/2006 10:40 AM

I got mine from Merit Truck parts & Wheel Company a couple of years ago.  They may still have them.  Worth a try at least.  P/N for my 77 M400 chassis was 13382.

Merit Truck parts & Wheel Company
1559 South Wabash Ave.
Chicago, Illinois 60605

(312) 427-3788

Real nice people.

Dave

Sent: 10/9/2006 4:51 PM

You have me a little confused.   You say you are looking for rotors but you mention pistons.   Rotors have no pistons.....calipers do.     I had a 79 Winnebago Brave that was on a Dodge chassis.   I had a very hard time finding a rotor for this.   Everyone that had a rotor had the wrong application.   I am talking about a rotor that is pressed onto the hub.   I finally found one in Clearwater, Florida at a place called "Big Three Truck Salvage".   The guy that helped me was an old timer and knew exactly what I was looking for.   He came back in from the yard and told me that a few years back they had bought some parts from a brake place and in a storage van in the yard they had about 8 of these rotors.   They were brand new rotors and only had some surface rust on them.   Price...........$75.00.(priceless)

Rick

Sent: 10/11/2006 12:53 AM

Call and get a price from Geoff, you will be glad you did. At least he'll give you a straight answer. 
I'll guarantee that Geoff wil get you the right part, most likely in stock, and he ships really fast.

I got tired of running through all the books at NAPA and frequent trips back and forth to other parts stores who, in the end Call Geoff themselves to find these parts. The only thing Geoff didn't have was the front flex brake lines, but I found a suitable replacement locally.

Tom

Sent: 10/11/2006 7:51 AM

Ahem, When did I not have front flex hoses? Isn't your vehicle a blend of two chassis? Or am I confusing you with another 'Bago? The only way I don't have a brake hose is if it is not the OE design ... and can't be found in Nature! Otherwise, it's on the shelf!

Cheers,

Geoff
Alretta Truck Parts Inc.
508-788-9409

Sent: 10/11/2006 10:46 AM

Yes Geoff you are correct, Mine is the 72 M300 with the 74 RM350 single piston front disc brake conversion.
Stops like a champ! No noticable wear so far in almost 3000 miles! I don't drive it every day like some people, but I'm darn proud of the brake system and you for helping me get and having the parts I needed.

You did have the front brake hoses! But I had to modify the original mounting location for the conversion (the drum brake hose mounting wouldn't work and the 74 disc setup had a different mounting due primarily to the sway bar on the 73-up axle, so I used the hoses from a mid 80's Dodge B350 (I think that's what I used..), which bolted into the frame like they belonged there all the time.

If I had had known which hoses I had to use, I would have gotten them from you too, but it was an on-the-fly product selection. (I probably paid too much for the hoses too.... I think it was $60 each or something like that...I had to get it finished!

Geoff has an awesome memory.... to remember one customer from almost a year and a half ago... that says a lot! I can't even get my local NAPA guy to remember my name, but he does cringe and say "oh no! not more parts for that ancient motor home again" every time I go in, LOL!

Tom

Sent: 10/12/2006 12:50 PM

I will second and third the motion...get your parts from Geoff!  He knows what the heck he is doing! Our 1972 Futura, the Ark, sits on a Dodge M375/400 chassis.  When I first bought it, I figured that it was supposed to take a while to stop it...after all, it was ancient, and heavy!

So, time goes by, and the brakes lock up, and then fade, and the rear wheel cylinders explode from hyperextention and age.

I roll into Tom's with no brakes.  We call Geoff.  He knows exactly what was wrong...a bad master cylinder!  That was causing the brakes to lock up.  Being on a limited budget, I buy a new master cylinder from Geoff, the front hoses, new shoes and hardware for the fronts.  Tom and I replace them.  Wow!  Brakes are a lot better!

But...the rears are still shot.  So, we tie off one back wheel cylinder (pinch the brake line closed), and I go visit my friend Steve.  It was Christmas and we were tight for money, so Steve and I rebuilt the rear wheel cylinders that were leaking...the brakes were decent now...similar to when we first bought the Ark.

Months later, our rebuilt cylinders start to fail in the back.  I call Geoff.  He sends me the right wheel cylinders (all four), the right return springs for the back, and the rear brake hoses and axle seals.  All the parts were the right ones, the first time!

By the way...I ordered the parts late on a Tuesday afternoon...and had them the next day around noon!  Geoff is fast!

The results?

The Ark now stops better than my wildest dreams!  We now tow a fully loaded (with junk, like a trailor) fullsize van behind us.  Even with the van, the Ark stops better now than it ever did without it!

And without the van in tow?  The Ark will stop on a dime!  Literally, if I jam the brakes, she'll stop!  Immediately, to a screeching halt! (Of course, make sure you don't have any unsecured cargo...lol!).

Geoff is the man!  Alretta is THE place to go for brake parts for our old rigs.  Fast, affordable, and they will be the RIGHT parts the FIRST time, and of the highest quality.

(p.s.  I also invested in a vacuum bleeder for the brakes...a GREAT investment!)

Kev the Happily Stopping Scotsquatch!

Sent: 10/14/2006 1:59 PM

Tom & Kev,

I am glad to hear that your experiences with Geoff at Alretta have been positive. Mine unfortunately was not.  Though I spent over $1,300, so miserable and drawn out the experience was,  I would sell my Winnebago before I would do business with him again.

- Jim

Sent: 10/14/2006 11:48 PM

Please continue posting replies relevant to the original issue.   Tactful, positive and negative personal experiences are permissible for any resource,  However, no discussion of whether Geoff and Alretta should be referred to other members will be permitted on this post.  It is not relevant to the original issue.

Mark Sobyak, GA

Mrfremo

These now appear impossible to buy new.  I ground one pad down to the rivets and then some.  Rotor with deep grooves and in general about 1/4" past min - irreparable.  I tried centric 120.67011 but can't find one anywhere and centric discontinued them with no replacement.  Going to try Vinnie's next week as they list an m400 rotor with 67011 in the part number.  Probably just a rebranded centric which they won't be able to source anymore but I will try.  Any suggestions anyone?  What about getting one machined out of plate.  Could be expensive because it is a vented rotor but the whole thing is only 1.81 thick so maybe.  Would have to drill all those radial holes for venting and to keep the weight down I suppose.  Anyone have any thoughts?and please don't tell me I should have kept an eye on this pads.  That's a given. :(

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Mrfremo

Thanks.  I ended up finding the same part through ebay/truckid using RM350 model number x-ref.  DFC® 604-40063 - GeoSpec® Front Brake Rotor. What I can't find now is what the torque spec is for the 8 bolts that hold the rotor to the hub.  Any idea?