Need replacement fuel pump for Onan Generator

Started by MSN Member, March 05, 2010, 07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallDiscoveries1

Sent: 7/25/2005

Figured out why my genset fails to run. The fuel pump is not working. Of course I just realized that I have not checked for 12 volts at the line. Anyway, anyone know of a fuel pump I can use to replace mine? It is a bendix made pump. The parts catalog list it as Onan part number 149P650, but there is not a picture of it. So I don't know if that is the right part number or not.

Anyone else have experience here?

Thanks.

Steve

Boise_Chief

CSK  (Checker shucks Kragen)  Carries a 1.5-4 psi shurflo fuel pump that should be fine and not too much pressure.  it's about 39.00

Napa carries the same pump in thier own napa line which is also made by shurflo and it is only 29.00 and NAPA offers a better warranty.  I am running one in mine,  it was a coleman 6500 W portable and used the gravity fed tank so this was low enough PSI that it didn't mess up my carb on the genset.

But if the 40 bucks isn't an issue I'd go with the onan fuel pump.  It'll probably run longer for you.
Sean

Daved27c

Steve;

I just checked my owners manual, and parts catalog. The number you posted is indeed the fuel pump for the unit. The schematic shows the fuel inlet and discharge on the side. The discharge is the upper port. The wiring is in between the two ports.  Hope this helps.

Dave

SmallDiscoveries1

Sent: 7/26/2005

"The discharge is the upper port" Uh, I sure hope not. The lower port has a hose with a fitting that goes to the carb. The upper has a hose with a clamp that goes to the fuel tank.

I should be able to check for 12 volts this evening.

SmallDiscoveries1

I think I may have been mistaken. Will look tonight when I test it.

Daved27c

Steve;

I just went out and took a look at mine. The pump (at least mine) is labeled in and out. I don't know if it matters if the pump is mounted one way or the other.

Dave

SmallDiscoveries1

Mine has the outlet at the bottom. It is getting 12 volts when I try to start it. It does not appear to be working. I tried cleaning the contacts, but there was not a difference. So I will start trying to locate one tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Steve

ClydesdaleKevin

I'm glad you check the voltage...that rules out that.  I'm only familiar with our own Generac generator's fuel pump.  It makes a "clickety" sound when its operating.  Before trying to replace the pump, take of the hose and put your finger over the opening (inlet pipe).  Try starting it.  If it sucks at your finger, the pump is working, and its something else.  If its something else, make sure your fuel filter is clean, and your lines going to your gas tank aren't old and pourous.

Also, and this sounds stupid (but it happened to me...lol), make sure you have fuel in the tank that the generator is drawing from!  When I put in our new generator, I knew I had at least 5 gallons in the gas tank.  Apparently, that wasn't enough fuel, since the pickup tube that goes to the generator fuel supply sits quite a few inches from the bottom of the tank (this is so you don't run yourself out of gas running your generator, and lets you get to a gas station).  I added 5 more gallons, and VROOOOM!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

SmallDiscoveries1

Sent: 7/27/2005

Oddly enough, I did put my finger over the outlet to see if there was any pressure. There was none. The first thing I did when I started working on it though was remove the line going to the tank and put it in a fresh 2 gallon container of gas. I got nothing.

A new fuel pump it is.

SmallDiscoveries1

Sent: 7/27/2005

Quote from my local dealer is $175.95 and I would still need to pay shipping and tax!!! Now what? That seems a little on the high side, (read to high for my blood). It doesn't have to be that original. A can of paint on a universal low flow ought to make one look original shouldn't it?

Steve

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 7/28/2005

If you are trying to save dollars like the rest of us, then find out what the flow rate on the pump is.  Then, buy a generic electric fuel pump with a similar flow rate.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

SmallDiscoveries1

Sent: 7/29/2005

Bought a Mr. Gasket FP for $31. It is 2 to 4 psi. It bolts right in place of the old one. The only problem is, I cross threaded the brass end when attaching the fuel line going to the carb. Got it fixed tonight.

The good news, the generator runs and sounds good. It quit after about 10 or 15 seconds. But I just kept starting it back up over a period of about 5 minutes. Then the exhaust broke into two. This did not surprise me. The asbestos holding it together gave out. I wonder if a muffler shop can put together a new exhaust?

I have to fix fuel leaks also. I did not use any thread locker or teflon tape of any sort on the connections. No big deal, easy enough to fix.

On to other things until I can have the exhaust looked at.

Steve