Onan generator No Spark

Started by MSN Member, March 03, 2010, 11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuddder

Sent: 5/7/2005

My generator worked just fine last year. Now when I tired to fire it up it won't spark. I haven't tried a new plug yet but the ignition lead itself won't even spark up against the cylinder when I turn it over. Any ideas?

biggrock1

Sent: 5/7/2005 

Since both your genny and furnace both start off house batts, what condition are your batteries?

scuddder

Sent: 5/7/2005 1

The battery is good. Gen. spins fast and blower works on heater.

Moonie58m

Sent: 5/8/2005

Find a buddy who still smokes, borrow his matches, and slide the cover through the points. Or use the wife's emery board, followed by a piece of cheerios box.

scuddder

Sent: 5/8/2005

Small file instead maybe?

Oz

I really wouldn't use a file.  It doesn't take much to take-off too much of the metal with one or create an unwanted angle.  The thin cardboard of a matchbook is good because it's coarse enough to remove deposits wtihout cutting into the metal.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Sea Hag

Sent: 5/15/2005

There are a couple of relays or a circuit board that supplies 12volt until the genny starts and produces it's own 12volt power one of these may be the problem.
Sea Hag

Wendell

Sent: 5/16/2005 

If the genny turns over, but won't fire, I'd replace my ignition condenser.  Replaced mine last fall. Made all the difference in the world. Mine had gotten to the point that when the engine was cool, it would finally start, but would only run a little while, then it would quit.  I was pulling what little hair I have left out, but the condenser solved my problem.  Now it will run all day and never misses.