Generator cuts out

Started by MSN Member, March 03, 2010, 11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famecity

sent: 11/7/2005 11:07 AM

My Onan 4.0 BFA-C generator runs but sometimes cuts out after about 20-30 minutes. It will start right back up but only for a minute or so.

I thought it may be the fuel filter but cannot find one anywhere. I checked the pump and it seems to be working properly. I removed and cleaned the fuel line. This weekend it ran for about 2 hours without cutting out but it came close to shutting down several times. It definitely is not running smooth. Does anyone have any idea where the fuel filter may be for this model or suggestions to what may be the issue.

Thanks

denisondc

Sent: 11/8/2005

My old Onan 2.5kw would shut down after 20-30 minutes if running the a.c. in hot weather, but would run indefinitely in cooler weather just keeping my electric chain saw and a sump pump running, (this was after hurrican Isabel knocked a tree down on my house.) I replaced the spark plug - which was heavily crusted with deposits, and the points - which were out of adjustment and well pitted.
Then it worked fine in very hot weather.

famecity

Sent: 11/8/2005

Thanks for the help.  I replaced the points and it seems to be running great.  :)ThmbUp

famecity

Sent: 11/13/2005

My generator ran great for about an hour and a half but when I shut it down and restarted it, it started cutting out again. I checked the points and they seemed to have moved. I am concerned with this since it had only run about an hour since they were last set. Any ideas?

kenwautoone

Sent: 11/14/2005

I went through this very same problem & went down the same path [especially the part about deposits on electrode on plugs].T his was on a 4.0 onan.It turned out the reason it kept cutting out was the oil pressure shutoff switch was doing its job!Here is how not to fix that; I bypassed the switch ,that made it run until a rod broke-no oil pressure!very costly-now have 6.5 Onan. just a thought                                                     kenw.

Wendell

Sent 11/14/2005

I'd replace my ignition condenser.  Replaced mine last fall. Made all the difference in the world. Mine had gotten to the point that when the engine was cool, it would finally start, but would only run a little while, then it would quit.  I was pulling what little hair I have left out, but the condenser solved my problem.  Now it will run all day and never misses.

mightybooboo

Thanks Wendell, thats exactly what my generator is doing. Looks like a tune-up kit might solve my exact same  problem.
"I love ya,man!"

BooBoo