Will generator shut off when fuel tank reaches a certain level?

Started by MSN Member, March 03, 2010, 11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easybago

Sent: 11/8/2005

Now for a new question. Do these things cut off when the fuel tank reaches a certian level? The reason I ask, is I usually fire the genny up at least once a week to keep it lubed and keep fresh gas in the carb. Well, I fired it up this evening and it fired up great but only ran for about two minutes, then it shut down. I tried restarting it, which it did but only ran for a few seconds before shutting down.

We did go on a trip weekend before last and I only ran on the main tank and figure I used at least 3/4ths of a tank of gas. It will be Friday before I refuel as we are going back to Whichard's Beach for the weekend, so it would be nice to know before then in case I need to do something to the generator.

Thanks again!

Randy

1978Chieftain

Sent: 11/8/2005

I think I read somewhere that the generator will run as long as you have a half tank of gas.  You wouldn't want the generator to use up all your gas and leave you stranded would you?

OldEdBrady

Sent: 11/9/2005 

The generator gas supply line is always well above the bottom of the gas tank.  That's so you don't run out of gas for the engine, should you need it.

Easybago

Sent: 11/9/2005 

Thanks guysthat's what I was thinking and hoping. I think from now on I'll use the auxiliary tank going to my destination and the main tank coming home.

JCMAC

Sent: 11/29/2005 6:11 PM

I use to think the gen would run until the main tank's 1/4 level, so one summer with the gen running the roof air - I was stretching out the gas stops....  Anyway, the gen ran out and then, 30 miles later, so did the '72 Chieftian!
  It turns out you only have 5 gals left (1/8 tank) when the gen sucks it's last!

John