Onan Generator won't start either by remote or manual switch

Started by MSN Member, March 03, 2010, 10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanK

Sent: 2/19/2006 

I recently took possession of a '75 Winnebago Indian. I think it's a 23D. Not sure what the letters mean, floor plan is my guess.

81,000 miles and it runs and drives great! I need to figure out how to get the generator working. It's there, seems to be complete but nothing happens when I try activating either on of the switches (dash & generator).

I'm scouring the messages and will be looking for help soon. Also it'll be handy having this list as a information resource.

I live near Fall Creek, Oregon. My 83 yr old mother and I are going back to SE Arizona in April for a visit after moving away 46 years ago.

I'll be using my laptop and going online with it through my cell phone.

Rick Shaw

Dankoozer,
You really didn't give us enough information like, turns over or doesn't turn over and such.   If it is turning over and not starting it could be a multitude of reasons.   If you are getting nothing, I would look for the power source.   It could be that it has been disconnected from the battery.   If it is turning over and sounds like it is not getting spark it could be as simple as a fuse.   Or it could be as involved as points or plugs.   It could also be a bad fuel pump, or a clogged fuel filter in the pump.
Please post again and tell us what is happening.
Rick

DanK

When I push the generator start button on the dash & when I push the start button on the Onan CCK generator itself, nothing happens.

I forgot my test light today, but I tried monmentarily connecting the solenoid to the battery and it started! I was running VERY slow. I threw the generator switch inside the MH and the 110volt bulb I was using for a test, glowed, dimly. It ran for several minutes and didn't stop until I pressed the stop switch on the generator.

Here's the weird part; the exhaust pipe remained cool. It didn't warm up!

It probably would work great if the RPM's were up. I made sure the fuel line valve was open. I only have gas in the main tank of the MH. Don't know which tank it draws from. Both?

Thanks,

DanK

denisondc

Sent: 2/20/2006

If the generator was running at a slow but steady speed, I would think its governor mechanism was stuck or something had come unglued. If it was running at a very uneven speed with misfiring, I would believe it was a fuel delivery problem. Mine starts fine, but will run unevenly until the choke opens - which takes about 5 minutes. Im too lazy to adjust the choke.
Typically the generator fuel feedline would be from the larger of your tanks. If you get a light and mirror, you might be able to see which tank had a second fuel pickup line. The pickup line for the genset doesnt extend to the bottom of the tank, so if the genset is left running day after day, it cant run you out of gas to move the motorhome.
Recently a poster had an RV where it seemed a prior owner had switched the genset fuel feed line for the engines fuel feed line. You cant assume the plumbing hasnt been altered since it was built.
As for the exhaust pipe being cool - you could look at the spark plug. If it was sooty black it could be running way too rich. I think it would have to be running up to speed and with a good load (like the roof a.c.) before the plug color would be a light brown or whiter.

Rick Shaw

Sent: 2/20/2006

Dan,
If you only have gas in the main tank and none in the other...the generator would not run.   The generator gas line is situated about three quarters of the was into the gas tank.   This is a safety factor so that you would not run out of gas for the motorhome while running your generator.   Most units leave you about a quarter tank of gas so that you can make it to the next gas station.   
I think you should drain the oil in the generator and change the plugs and points.   If then it still runs slow then someone else would have to inform you what to do next.   It sounds as if your biggest problem is behind you.
Rick