Verizon MiFi

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, March 03, 2010, 07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Okay...so we were having all kinds of problems with AT&T...so we switched to Verizon...and the internet service is super fast, even here in the middle of the desert with very few towers!  And for the same price as AT&T we got unlimited minutes for talking, and the coolest little mobile device they call MiFi.  Its a small flat black box that hooks up to the 3G network...and then broadcasts a wifi signal...and you can use up to 5 computers at once on it!  No extra charge either!  Just the regular monthy the same price as AT&T!  AND they threw in a mini laptop, an Acer, for an extra 50 bucks, so Patti has her own computer again...yay!  So no more fighting over the computer and internet!

Now that we have a reliable fast internet service provider, I'll be able to post pics again...of the work on the Itasca, of the beautiful Arizona landscape, of the new tent, etc.!

And I'll be able to get back to work on our website, which is pretty sad right now.  I worked on it some last night, and hopefully will be able to streamline it over the next couple of months.

Anyhow, Verizon is the bomb-diggity for mobile internet service!  You want fast reliable affordable internet on the road, especially if you are a fulltimer?  Get Verizon!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ibdilbert01

In my area Verizon seems to have the best coverage and for the most part a good bang for the buck.   

However....   Wouldn't you know it.....   As of this mornings news.....

"Giving AT&T a runs for its money, Verizon Wireless just experienced some rather serious data outages involving, "parts, not all, of eastern US." According to the carrier, the outages occurred between 4-8 a.m. on Wednesday morning.

For at least a year, rival AT&T has been on the defensive over its spotty national coverage. "There is a data explosion out there," David Christopher, AT&T's chief marketing officer, told The Wall Street Journal in January. "We're also at the bleeding edge of knowing how to deal with it." With its "It's The Network" motto, and goading "There's a Map for That" ad campaign, Verizon now stands to lose serious credibility with consumers and the media if it can't keep up with the wireless data explosion. Late last year, Gizmodo reported that AT&T actually beat out Verizon Wireless in a test to see which carrier had the fastest 3G network nationwide. "

Hehehe Go figure....
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

ClydesdaleKevin

I dunno Dilbert...I'll rest on empirical knowledge...of all the internet services we have had, in all the places we go, Verizon is the fastest and most troublefree of all of them that we have used.  And thier current service and devices seem as fast or faster than when we still had a house with DSL.  Doesn't get much better!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

BigSarge

Yup...I have AT&T and love the phone service but the girlfriend has Verizon MiFi and it cant be beat for wireless internet. Good stuff!
YOU EAT LIFE OR LIFE EATS YOU.

Seon

My wife and I are just crawling out from under rocks when it comes to wireless. LOL.
She just bought a laptop and we currently have ATT service at home so we can use the laptop but when on the road, we have to stop at a Starbuck or McDonalds to get connections.  So just today we decided that we don't need a land line so each will use cell phones but which wireless carrier to get???  Guess we'll have to ask our grandkids who are up to date on all these wireless things.

ibdilbert01

For phone service, I'm now using Boostmobile, 50 bucks a month, but with their shrinkage plan it drops to only $35 bucks a month, unlimited everything including internet.   The only drawback for me is its on the Sprint network, and sprint is a bit spotty where I live, but for the price, I can deal with that.   ;)

http://boostmobile.com/

And to connect your laptops to the ineternet using an unrooted stock android phone.

http://junefabrics.com/android/

RedneckExpress

From everything I've read, it's wise to buy yourself a MiFi 2200 unit and sign up for the 3G service.  The 4G units currently listed all have rather negative reviews on dependability, battery life, etc....
Follow along with me as I full-time the Redneck Way in [url=http://

ibdilbert01

The MiFi 2200 is actually a really good unit.  I bought one to use for this years camping season and was pleased with how it did.

ClydesdaleKevin

I upgraded!  Still Verizon, but instead of the MiFi card, we upgraded the card to a Samsung Galaxy Tablet.  Its like a giant smartphone, and even came with a dock with a keyboard, so it works like a small laptop, but way cheaper!  It functions as our wifi hotspot, and is just as fast as the MiFi card.  The main reason we bought it was so that we could take credit cards in our shop, and got the little cardreader device from square-up that plugs right into the tablet...free service, they take a way smaller percentage than banks, and it goes right into our bank account...woohoo!!!  Anyhow, its a really neat tablet thingy...you can check the weather, it has GPS and google maps built right in at no extra charge, and it didn't even change our plan...our monthly bill is exactly the same.  Verizon came through once again! 

Kev