Venting an Aftermarket Generator

Started by MSN Member, March 02, 2010, 08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldbag373861

Sent: 16/08/2006

Onan generators were vented by the air shroud fan pulling air through a hole in the floor of the compartment. This doesn't work with aftermarket genny's, and heat can build up in the compartment if the door is kept closed. Unfortunately a noisey generator isn't popular with RV neighbors.

I decided to use an old RV bathroom vent fan I had lieing around, and mounted it right over the rectangular hole in the gen. compartment floor. I wired it up to the same switch that controls the electric fuel pump which supplies fuel to my Generac generator. Now whenever I start the generator, the fan comes on too, and the compartment has no heat build up. I may still open up more vent louvers at the top of the compartment door for yet more heat exchange.

While I miss the convenience of the old Onan, when they die and you end up with another genny, this beats having to pull it out of the compartment to use it.

Froggy1936

On my Honda 5000 I mounted a 110 V fan (The small plastic ossilating type)on the ceiling of the compartment (disabled ossilator) and plugged it into an outlet on the generator panel, When the generator is running and turned on the fan blows
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.