Is my Phillips converter shot?

Started by drummerboy, March 04, 2010, 10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummerboy

Sent: 6/21/2004

Hello Again!  Well, the money pit beckons again...I just installed a new radio in our '72 Indian.  I wanted to be able to run it off the converter and aux battery.  Everything was fine until I started metering connections.  When plugged into shore power, my output voltage is 15.8 vdc.  When I connect my radio it jumps to 19.6 vdc.  Wow!  After already once replacing my circuit board in the fridge 2 years ago, I don't want to go there again!  I disconnected the 110v, and my output everywhere is 12.6 vdc.  That's more like it.  Off the battery everything's fine.  I have an old Phillips converter.  I can get a new Progressive Dynamics w/ charge wizard for less that $200.  Is the old converter shot?  Has anyone successfully made this switch?  Is there something I'm missing?  HELP!

Sea Hag

Sent: 6/25/2004

It does sound like something is wrong with your converter  I read 13. 5 VDC while pluged into shore power 19 + VDC is too much . I'd replace or fix the converter before it cooks something else .   One thing you might consider for the radio is to install a 3 pole toggle switch to select sterio power from chassis Batt to Coach Batt. power . Sea Hag 

drummerboy

Sent: 6/26/2004

Thanks Sea Hag! I'm really stumped as to how to approach this. I read all of the previous posts on converters, charging, and even phillips converters. I really want to install a progressive dynamics with the charge wizard. I want to talk to some people who've made the swap. I have a red, white, and blue wire coming from the converter. A page on the pd converter site showcases several installs, just not a phillips. It identifies the wire colors at least. The 110v is hard-wired. The 110v won't be a problem, but I'm a little leary of the 12v connections. I've read that I need to bypass a solenoid for the battery to charge. I've read that this is between the converter and battery. I don't want to unhook or bypass the wrong part. The replacement seems pretty straightforward, I just have some specific questions. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all the help!
Jeff

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sent: 6/26/2004

The relay is on the converter output before the house 12VDC fuse panel.  It will either be inside the converter or, like my 78 Chieftain, in the power center (fuses, circuit breakers, relay, converter control board, etc.).  It approx. 2 inche cube with 10-12 gauge wires conneced to it.  Output of the relay connects to the 12VDC fuse panel.  When the the converter is on, 12VDC from the converter energizes the relay pasing the converter power.   When converter is off, battery power is passed on.   

Newer converters do not use a relay.  Their output connects directly to the battery.  They act more like an alternator now days where they charge the battery and provide power to the house.  Since the relay is energized by the converter output, you can disconnect the 110VAC input to the old converter (without removing it), connect it to the new converter and all should work.  The relay would stay deenergized.  Thats the quick way. 

If you remove the old converter, you have to insure that you have a connection from the battery directly to the fuse panel.  Because newer style coverters connect directly to the battery, I would make sure you have either a DC circuit breaker or fusible link on the wiring to the fuse panel.  That applies whether you use the quick way or remove the old converter.

Dave
[move][/move]