Redoing a tarp with grommets

Started by bill_never_paid, February 27, 2010, 07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill_never_paid

Sent: 3/17/2008

Here is one for you guys. Bought a tarp-way to big- and want to cut it down to size--first looked for a smaller tarp-still can't find the size I want but still haven't given up don't live in Seattle so only have a few place to look for the size I want but while out this "AM" I bought one of those,acually 2 as figured I'd screw up the first one, grommet kits; the one where they give you the block-grommets-tool---I guess about every damn thing - a normal person-would need----NOW!
Let's say I cut the big one to the size I need--I would be going from an 8-10 to about a 5-7ish--don't tell me to sew the ends I cut - that aint'a'guna'happen' have a sewing machine but forget that. So do I roll the corners over and just add the gromets???or do i glue-with what?- then add the grommets?? or forget it and keep looking? and where else--EBay?---I can buy tarps-Blue/green/brown but not white--
Sir William--to you!

maryk2u

Sent: 3/17/2008 4:46 PM

Are you putting grommets in just the corners, or all the way around? I put grommets in new painters tarps and used them for curtains for our patio. I folded the top over, tucking the raw edge underneath and put the grommets through all of the layers. They held up very well.
Mary K

bill_never_paid

Mary K it doesn't really matter but I planned on , if way to go, put several along the edges but this is going to be outside in the wind etc and wasn't sure I needed to do something special except roll er' over and put in the grommets???Bill

maryk2u

Bill,
I put the grommets all along the edge and ran a cable through the grommets. The curtains were out in the sun and wind for over a year, and worked just fine.
Mary

Oz

Folding it over and just adding the grommets will work.  How well depends on how many grommets you add.  without a stitched seam along the edge, the pressure on each grommet point is not dispersed as well and so would tend to pull through the material more easily.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

bill_never_paid

Sent: 3/18/2008

Brother in law will be here Sat. and on the phone, last night, said he has done this by putting rubber glue along each boarder and letting it get tacky-then fold it over- and it will bond to a strong hold-do it twice on each side before putting in the grommets--he doesn't know it yet but he will be helping, Sat., when he brings his granddaughter-almost 2yrs old-,whole gang is coming, over for Easter hunt at our house maybe he can look at our CURTAINS BLINDS--just had to throw that in

ClydesdaleKevin

When the wind took our workshop down the other day, we had to re-do quite a few grommets, and the tent is white.

So, we got white duck tape at Walmart and reenforced the grommet area with it by folding it over the edge, and then installed the new grommets.  We also bought the grommet kit at Wally World, in the camping section...made by Ozark Trails, which is made in the USA by the way, while, sadly, most Coleman products are now made in China...GRRRRRRRR!!!

Anyhow, the white duct tape sticks to the white tarp nicely, and you can barely see it.  I don't see why you couldn't edge the whole cut edge of your tarp with a duct tape the same color.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

bill_never_paid

Kev-bought my grommys from Wally also and if the glue thing doesn't work I would also try the tap---tnx bill

maryk2u

Home Depot carries grommets too.
MK

Seon

Orchard Supply carries grommets and I found them to me cheaper than Home Depot or Lowes.

Oz

A note on the grommets I got from Wal Mart:  They rust really quick!  They're a shiny, gold color, don't get them.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

JDxeper

Harbor Freight also has them plus discounts.
JD W%
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)