Holley 2 bbl carb adjustment proceedure

Started by Clyde9, November 14, 2008, 07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 7/20/2006 3:22 PM

Anyone have adjustment info on these carbs?  I tried the Holley website, but they don't have the carb listed.  It is on a 77 Minnie Winnie, 360 eng.  I rebuilt it, and it idles fine but as soon as you drop it in gear it wants to cut off.  I have to pump the accelerator lightly to take off from a stop, so I'm assuming the accelerator pump is the culprit, but I can't find any adjustments on it.

Sent: 7/20/2006 4:33 PM

Sounds like the Idle air mixture screws could be out of adjustment the adjustment is only for the curb idle. If adjusted improperly, it will do just what you see happening. This adjustment is in any dodge truck or car manual that includes the 360.

Basically, the mixture screws ARE NOT for smoothing out the idle, contrary to poular belief. The mixture screws must be adjusted with the air cleaner in place too.

The accelerator pump does nothing more than squirt fuel to compensate from idle to acceleration. just a quick spritz of extra fuel. If you don't see that spritz (looking down the air horn) then the pump may not be working. Firs check the adjustment of the pump (from outside). Then if that doesn't cure it, you may have misplaced something or installed the pump incorrectly.

All of the adjustments are in a Dodge manual. If you don't have one, Let me know and I'll send you the pages out of mine. There are no special tools for the adjustments, but a timing light, vacuum gauge and long screwdrivers will make it a breeze.

Tom

Sent: 7/20/2006 6:49 PM

I'm definitely getting a spritz of fuel when I hit the accelerator, so I guess it is the mixture.  That's where I was confused, because I did assume the adjustment screws were for idle.  It idles fine, but as soon as you drop it in gear it will bog down & try to cut off.  Unfortunately I don't have the manual, so if it's not too much trouble, I'd really appreciate it if you would send the page with the proceedure.  If not, I'll try to locate a manual but I was hoping to get this thing back on the road by the weekend....  Thanks for the reply!!!