Onan 5kw turns over slow, won't start, smokes & ground wire gets hot

Started by LJ-TJ, February 07, 2010, 04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Onan 5000 W  turns over slow enough it won't start and the ground wire get hot and smokes  Hm?

tiinytina

Check to make sure your ground wire is indeed grounded....
T
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

DanD2Soon

And - Make sure your battery(ies) are fully charged or even jumped to boosters.  Low voltage really increases the amperage draw needed to start the Genset.

LJ-TJ

Yep! Thanks Tina. Did that went out and cleaned the ground wire,tried again and the gen barely turned over and the ground wire started to smoke again.
Thanks Dan, Hooked the gen set to the chassis battery fired up the rig checked current 15 volts at the chassis battery checked current at the gen solenoid and got 15 volts.....hit the switch and the gen just barely turned over and once again the ground wire started to smoke.    i??

tiinytina

ok, started googling all aspects of this.... Off work and shoveled for 5 hours so sore and tired but can't sit still, as per usual.

1.Check your Neutral wire. Neutral wire is loose or disconnected.
2. Replace ground wire (may be shorting out inside itself if it was kinked etc)

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

JDxeper

TJ,  you might try unhooking the batteries and then using a jumper cable hook up with a battery close to the genset,  that would tell you if it is the cables. use the start button at the genset.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

LJ-TJ

Good call JD....found a good battery 13 volts hooked the ground to the exhaust pipe...hot wire to the hot side of the solenoid....13 volts at the battery..13 volts at the solenoid...hit the switch got a click, not enough juice to kick it over...just got a click the second time and called it quits. Didn't want to take a chance on screwing things up.  :(

Rogerslvnv

If the ground wire is getting hot could be a direct short, possible in the starter windings

LJ-TJ

Bad News.... :(  couldn't find the starter  i??
Dave if you spot this:
She's a
            5.0 CCK-3CR/1.6000U
    Ser. C770216708
   AC Vol 120/240  PH 1
   KVA 5   KW 5
   PF 1      AMPS 20.8  HZ 60
   DC Volt     AMPS    WATTS
   RPM 1800  Batt 12
   TIME RATING

Oz

TJ, If you don't have the manual on this, it's available in the Free Manuals section of the Member Area.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ibdilbert01

Looking through the manual, the CCK uses the generator head as a starter.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Froggy1936

Hi Terry, The exaust  pipe is a poor ground connection for anything.   Rust, gaskets & rubber hangers,  make it non conductive  .  Proper connection would be Using a known good jumper battery  Dissconnect house batterys 

1. positive cable directly to the starter terminal on the starter,(with the original cable removed)
2 Both cables hooked to the jumper battery
3 and final connection to the engine casting.

If it still cranks slow or you get a lot of sparking (reason for not hooking to battery last EXPLOSION) Either the starter is bad or the engine has a malfunction siezed bearing flooded etc .If it cranks normal problem is in one of the items not used at this time Cables solinoid etc  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Froggy1936

Hmmm. if as Tim says the generator  uses the generator armature as the starter I dont know if previous info will work. Will need to see wireing diagram  Frank

LJ-TJ

Thanks Frank I've slowed a bit as we finally got snow  :'( all be it about 2" and it's a little difficult to get to the rig. I may try and make room in the barn and move her in there.

Froggy1936

I just looked up onan starters and they all look pretty much like a car starter    Sorry i have never worked on an onan so i dont know exactly where its located but you shoud be able to hear it operating   Mine is a rope pull starter  Frank

ibdilbert01

I agree with Frank, the exhaust pipe does not always make a good ground.    Also if I remember correctly, your genset slides out on a tray, make sure your not grounding through the sliding tray.   A good ground strap from the genset to the frame would be nice.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

DaveVA78Chieftain

LJ-TJ
I had a hunch this used the generator to start.
Referring to my Genny Manual post (http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=2429.msg11124#msg11124)

You need Onan manual:
Onan 900-0196 UN Generator & Controls Service Manual

It has more detailed procedures and schematics for both the generator and engine portions.
I will warn you that it is a very very large file (53Mb).
Schematic for yours is on page 6-15 (Onan dwg 611-1127)
There are links to sources for the manuals in that post.

The other one I listed is Onan 927-0500 CCK Series RV Service Manual.  It may also work but I have not actually seen it.

I am also sending you a separate PM.

Dave
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Froggy1936

TJ I looked at the owners manual for CCK and the starter is the generator armature (exciter) Under starting in the trobleshooting chart They listed load applied wile trying to start  Did you unplug the cable from the generator output ? And oil too heavy , Loose connections, defective starter. I do not understand the last one ? They also show a rope starter does it have one ? If so cranking by rope will tell you if the gen turns free enough (oil)   Sorry i cant do more from here  I could not find a wireing diagram. Frank