Are 12vdc and 110vac interior bulbs interchangeable?

Started by LVLFNXS, February 05, 2010, 12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LVLFNXS

Sent: 3/12/2004

Hey all, I was in the winnie lat night tinkering, and there were a couple night sockets that weren't working.  The bulbs look the same as house bulbs, like 60 or so watts.  I put a bulb from my trouble light in it, and it didn't work, but a different bulb from the motorhome DID work in it.  Also the bulb I tried also worked in a regular 110 socket in the house.  If this is as confusing to you as it is for me, then OK, I am not crazy.  I didn't know if they made full size, house looking bulbs for 12 v.  Thank you for your help in advance.

Erik

Lefty

Sent: 3/12/2004

You aren't crazy Dave, The bulb you removed was a 12v bulb, and the one you tried was a 110v bulb. It should be marked on the top of the bulbs as to their wattage\voltage. Lefty
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

denisondc

Sent: 3/13/2004

I got tired of replacing those 12V-but-look-like-110v bulbs, they didn't seem to last more than two vacations and were not cheap. Two in the bathroom, one over the stove. So I took the burnt out ones, cracked away the glass and the glue from the base, and soldered in a 12volt 12watt bulb that I got in a carton of 10 for $6. They haven't burnt out yet, but the similar bulbs in the interior lights seem to last 5 to 10 years. cheapo denison

JDxeper

You maybe lucky the 12v did not burn out when used in household current.  The  12 volt bulbs used to be available at Wal Mart, but may not be now.  Most RV places still have them. Hm?  I think most every one has them in the stove hood vent. W% Not interchangealbe as far as I know.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Froggy1936

NO They are not interchangeable  110 will not light in a 12V socket  But a 12V will burn up in a 110 socket.  the only visable difference is what is printed on the top (if you can still read it)   Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.