Bad free play in steering wheel - White Knuckle Winnie!

Started by Dr. Dan, February 02, 2010, 05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Dan

Where can I find Dave Denison's "Winnie Wanders" procedure? In searching for how to fix the steering play in my '76 Minnie Winnie (Dodge MBH300 chassis), I saw reference to it several times.

When the engine is OFF, the total degree of play between feeling resistance left and right is 50 degrees. Watching the system from the outside while the steering wheel is being turned back and forth, I see the column movement above the steering box but absolutely no movement below (idler arm, tie rods, wheels, etc.).

In a gusty crosswind, or when a big rig passes, I have to turn the steering wheel back and forth constantly like they show people doing in old movies and on the highway it scares the [CENSORED] out of me. I had a '73 Plymouth that, when the alignment went out, could move to the right lane by letting go of the steering wheel, but I had better control.

Maybe I couldn't find the reference because I'm new to the site?
OMG! The neighbor keeps an old Winnebago on his driveway! HIDE THE CHILDREN! LOCK THE DOORS! ALWAYS WATCH THIS GUY!

Oz

Type:  Winnie Wanders in the search box to the upper right.  Scroll down a little, you'll see it.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Dr. Dan

OMG! The neighbor keeps an old Winnebago on his driveway! HIDE THE CHILDREN! LOCK THE DOORS! ALWAYS WATCH THIS GUY!

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca