How does running generator while driving affect charging system?

Started by MSN Member, January 25, 2010, 08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZR91

Sent: 9/18/2007 3:35 AM

I searched, but could not find answers to my specific questions.

First, we have a 79 Dodge Minnie Winnie. In the battery compartment, I bypassed the first solenoid, so that the alternater charges both batteries at 15 volts.-I beleive this is what isolated the engine battery from being discharged ?

Secondly, I am installing a 3000 watt generator in a custom built enclosure on top of the rear bumper that I am extending 24".

I want to run the generator while driving in order to operate 110 volt electrical appliances. -Fridge/TV/microvave/etc.

How will this affect my chargeing system and alternator ? I understand that when you plug into shore power-it provides 110 power to the electrical outlets AND charges your coach and engine battery. But what will happen if run the generator while running the engine?
I want to be able to this, I am just not sure about how the 2 batteries and the solenoids/isolators need to be wired to acheive this.

Thank-you in advance to the electrical geniuses on CW !

ontheroadagain

Sent: 23/09/2007 

I have a 1980 minne winne and if we are talking about the same solenoid near the coach battery, that is what keeps the engine and coach batteries seperate or connected by using the dual/mom switch in the cab.  Mine is by the drivers head on the door pillar. It is a three postion switch dual/off /momentary when the switch is in the dual position the alternator will charge both batteries.

I run my frig on 12volts when travaling to campsite and the alternator keeps both batteries charged.

NOTE:WARNING!!! Don't leave in dual postion when plugged in to power from shore or generator you will fry the alternator. By bypassing the seliniod you have created this situation go back and hook-up  the selinoid the way it was, its there for a reason!!

The momentay side of the switch is in case the engine battery won't start the engine you can push it to use the coach battery to start the engine like a jump start without the cables.

ZR91

Sent: 23/09/2007

Thank-you for the reply and explanation ! That is exactly what I needed to understand.

We are leaving on a 3,500 km (2,200 mile) trip this week and I don't need any unexpected surprises.

Thanks again for your help, I truly appreciate it !

Regards,
Jay

tiinytina

23/09/2007

Must agree. Your MOM switch is just there in case your engine batt dies and you have to start  the engine from the coach batteries.  The solenoids exist for a reason... we don't know why, what or how.... but they are there....
tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

RV Mech Tech

If there is more than one solenoid as Tina mentions, one is more than likely for the 'momentary' side of the switch and would be an intermittent -duty solenoid and if you have a seperate battery disconnect switch to cutoff the coach battery(s) for storage could this be the purpose of the other solenoid?  this would be a 'constant duty' solenoid and new RVs have this setup since things like the propane detector are on constantly and would be a parasitic drain when the RV is stored.  Hm?