Rear Brake shoe retainer question, castle nut/washer/cotter pin.

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 13, 2008, 10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 9/20/2006 7:02 AM

A quick question:  The castle nuts that hold down the rear brake shoes were missing thier cotter pins...probably rusted away.  I replaced them, no problem.  Question:  Do I add a little high temp grease under the flat washer under the castle nut?  It seems like it would help with friction.  If not, do I just leave it a bit on the loose side, and put in the cotter pin, so the shoes can move freely?

Thanks!

Kev

Sent: 9/20/2006 12:38 PM

You leave those nuts -slightly- loose. I dont like to use grease in places where it will result in brake dust buildup. I set those castle-nuts so I could move the shoes in-out from where they rest on the brake backing plate - just enough to feel movement; probably about .005" to .010". I did use grease on the threads of the self-adjusters, since as they move -out- as the shoes wear.

Sent: 9/21/2006 8:01 AM

Thanks Dave!  That's what I thought, and that's what I did.  Except, I didn't grease the self adjusters, I just moved them in and out several times until they were free.  I'm missing the lower self adjust off the driver's side, so I guess I'll have to keep it maintained by hand...ah well...but at least the job's done now...yay!

And MAN am I sore!  I feel like I was lifting weights for hours yesterday...lol

Kev