Which fuel tank is which? '78 - 23' Brave

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 13, 2008, 09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 10/10/2006 4:51 PM

I have a 78 Winnebago 23 foot, where are the main and aux fuel tanks located, is the back one the main

Sent: 10/10/2006 9:51 PM

Yes, the back one is the Main.  See the other message string on this.

Sent: 10/10/2006 10:28 PM

Not so quick. I have a 78 D21 & the right side is the main.  Back is the Aux

Sent: 10/10/2006 11:23 PM

On my 78 Chieftain both gas tanks are on the right side.  The one in the rear is the Main and the one in front is the Auxiliary.  With the tank selector switch set on Auxiliary, I can add gas to the Auxiliary tank and see the fuel tank level needle go up from the bottom.

Sent: 10/10/2006 11:44 PM

One simple way to find out is to fill a tank up, flip the main/aux selector switch, and see which position makes the needle rise.

Sent: 10/11/2006 12:14 AM

It may not be that "easy" (pun totally intended). I seem to remember pushing a Winnie into a campsite, even though the gauge read full. You are presuming that the gauges actually read correctly, and the fuel selector valve actually works. On my 72 the rear tank is the main, and the side is the aux.

Dave

Sent: 10/11/2006 12:22 AM

On a D21, the main gas tank is under the dinette and the window, not forward under the stairs or between the frame on the rear.

Unless it's been messed with by a dee-dee-dee, or the switch is upside down?.... wired to the wrong sensor?... or the valve is plumbed wrong? Damn now.. there's a conundrum for ya!

For D24's and up, the tank to the rear on the side is the main, which is that same single side tank that a D21 has...

D19, you ask? it's mounted forward, like the forward tank on the D24 (which is not the main on the D24 up...!)

Confused? why not....

Which is the main tank really? the Tank that doesn't clog the filter after driving 10 hours!

And I'm not even tanked.... LOL!

Tom

Sent: 10/12/2006 12:33 PM

On the Ark, there is only one fuel sender, in the auxilary tank.  The guage reads full until the main tank empties...the engine sputters...and then you have to throw the valve lever on the floor to "aux".  Its kind of like the way motorcycles are...lol...you drive until is sputters, and then switch to reserve.

Kev

Sent: 10/12/2006 1:23 PM

I concur with Tom:  my tanks are still so cruddy, I seldom drain a tank before the fuel filter clogs!..Be advised: more fuel filters is not better.  I tried that too.  It is just more units you have to replace.  Today I use the biggest one I could find and it still clogs, but a lot later in the tank!  This winter I plan to replace the tanks or clean them and seal them with the POR stuff.

Sent: 10/12/2006 2:17 PM

I dropped my aux fuel tank (in 1991) and cleaned out a lot of rusty muck, replaced its bad sender unit, and reinstalled. I use one in-line fuel filter, located just 'upstream' of the fuel pump
and next to it. I get the plastic kind you can see into. I have had them last as long as 8000 miles, or have had one clog up in 40 miles. I dont think there is any point in trying to install a larger filter- you still need to be able to check it often.
With my see-into filters I could check their condition at each fill-up, or at the bottom of each long upgrade in hilly country. Or just wait until it wont climb a hill, and replace it at that time. I try to always carry at least 2 spare filters, and they are easy to find in the stores.
Instead I installed a fuel pressure gauge in the dashboard. With a clean fuel filter it reads about 7 or 8 psi. After enough miles to be partly clogged it will read 5 or 6 psi on the level, as low as 3 psi on substantial hills. The engine runs the same until the fuel pressure gauge is reading about 1 or 2 psi, when it will begin to lose power and misfire. But since I have the gauge to look at, I know when to change the filter. It takes me less than 5 minutes.
After averaging 4000 miles a year for over a dozen years, we still have the filters clog up the same way, from either the tank I cleaned in 91, or the tank that I didnt.
The fuel pressure gauge is one of my most valuable additions to the dashboard.
Another benefit to the f. p. gauge, is being able to run a tank until it is empty - by glancing at the gauge frequently - and switching tanks when the fuel pressure drops toward zero. The engine keeps running smoothly during this procedure.
You must use a fuel isolator between the gauge and the T in the fuel line though. This keeps pressurized gasoline out of the passenger compartment in case of gauge failure.