Can I fill torque converter fluid while installed?

Started by poakley2, January 15, 2010, 07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poakley2

OK, I searched and didnt find this topic so I thought I would ask. I had the transmission out to replace seals and drained the fluid out of the torque converter. My buddy thought he was helping by installing it while I was gone without refilling the torque converter. Question is do I have to pull it back out and refill torque converter or can I add fluid and turn engine over without starting it (kinda like pump it through) to refill it? Thanks.

RV Mech Tech

poakley2 - you can do this but I would use the following procedure - first find out how many quarts you need for a complete refill that way you can keep track of how much is going in- next put in four quarts for a regular sized pan or 6 quarts for a deep sump pan (this will submerge the oil pump pickup) then disable the ignition system by disconnecting the ignition coil so the engine will not fire - then crank the engine for no more than 10 seconds for the first time and then check the oil level with the stick- it should be empty or close to it since the pump Will pull up the fluid and start to fill the T converter - fill the pan up again only with enough to fill the pan and do this again as many times as required to fill the converter- if the total capacity of a complete refill is lets say 10 quarts and you go through 8 immediately by doing this you will know that the converter is being filled - I am taking for granted that you removed the oil pan and have to refill it as well  so this will be like refilling a rebuilt trans- if you did not drain the oil from the pan then you can use the same procedure but you will not use the same amount of oil - I hope your buddy put some kind of lube on the collar of the converter where the seal rides on as well -  also when you first crank the engine over listen for any abnormal noises just in case - by not starting the engine you will fill the TC and oil will get to the internals of the trans enough so that it will not have a dry start up ( I have seen that happen with both trans. and engine!) - when you have everything running double check the trans fluid level (Chryslers are checked in neutral in those years when the trans is warm ) - your buddy owes you a case of beer for this! -   :) (good excuse to get a free case anyways!) -Good Luck!