Winnebago Slide in Truck camper

Started by MSN Member, December 30, 2009, 02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 2/13/2008

Hello All
Hope all are well and getting ready for the upcoming camping season.
I want to know if anybody knows what years the slide in campers were made and if there is a specific place where tags and such to get all info on that particular camper.
I may be obtaining one here soon and will be going from the motor home to it dur to the capability of useing the truck also for side projects.
Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks Guys & Gals
TNhappycamper

denisondc

Sent: 2/16/2008

Since no one else has replied yet; I think the slide in campers were made in the early years - when they were making travel trailers, utility trailers, and before they started making the motorhomes. I am guessing from 1958 to 1966. You might want to look in the "Winnebago History" - downloadable from the Club Store.

MSN Member

As a kid I lived near the Winnebago factory and we rented units directly from the factory.  The first slide-in camper we rented was in 1964, and I think they had started making slide-ins a couple of years before.   (As denisondc said, travel trailer production began in 1958.) 

Later, as an adult, I worked at Winnebago and helped build/ship slide-in campers through the 1975 model year.  There were just a few 1976 units made (less than 50) when they decided to end production all together.  To my knowledge, none has been built since, but I did see a e-bay advertisement a couple months ago that had an early 2000s Winnebago slide-in camper for sale, and according to the photo it actually said Winnebago on the side--I'm wondering if some other factory made it and Winnebago just stuck their name on it.

As far as information on these units, you can go to the Winnebago web site under "Previous Model Year Product Information" and at least see some drawings and pictures of slide in campers, some of which are at the end of their motor home brochures.  You'll have to browse around some to find them.  Travel trailer/slide in camper brochures can be found on ebay sometimes that would have some information too.  I don't know where one would find tags for these units, though.

MSN Member

Thanks ever so much for the info.....If anybody else runs up on something...PLEASE let us know.

Thanks again
Happy Camper