Generator - What oil for Onan BFA 4.0?

Started by MSN Member, December 13, 2009, 06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easybago

Sent: 8/20/2007

I did a message search but found very little information on what oil type and weight to use. That being the case, I'd love to see some good input from some of the genny guru's on here.

The data plate on my BFA recommends a 30 weight oil but gives no reference to HD or not. A google search showed that Onan is now recommending a multi weight oil such as 10W-40 HD and I also saw where some are using 10W-50 HD. Well, the google search left me really confused as to what to actually get.

I'm sure I'll probably have to get the filter at my local dealer, but I'd rather get the oil at Wally World, seeing as it will be much cheaper.

Thanks!

Randy

denisondc

A bout any straight 30 weight oil you would buy today would be HD. I believe any of the oils you mentioned would be fine. In hot weather I think a 20W50 would work fine. For use in very cold weather I would use the 10W30 or 10W40. The only type of oil I would avoid would be a 5W30 or 5W40.

enigma960080

The 'HD' stands for High Detergent, not Heavy Duty, like most people think.   ND or NonDetergent oil should not be used in most modern engines, no detergent =engine sludge. Although some old-times will use it  durinig an early break-in period for a rebuild.

I use Valvoline 20w50 Synthetic Blend, My consumption has been reduced by more than 50% since this change...

YMMV
(Your mileage may vary)
2000 Fleetwood Southwind 32V--deceased
2001 National RV Dolphin M-5332

Easybago

Sent: 8/21/2007

I went to the dealer and picked up a $10 filter, then by Wally World and picked up some 10W-40 Havoline oil. That's what I run in the 440 and it seems to be a good weight oil for eastern NC, so I figured I'd keep the oils the same. The Onan oil at the dealer was over $6 a quart!  Now, if I can find a filter that will interchange.

enigma960080

Sent: 8/21/2007

My 6.5 NHE has a Fram ph3614 on it.  I was able to access a Fram interchange catalog and found out ph3600 or equivalent is the long version.  Easier for the cap type filter wrenches to get them off.

To interchange xxx-xxxx  onan part numbers  to Fram numbers.

I will probably go to WIX on my next gen oil change  because I am not a huge  Fram fan...  the are  just VERY  easy to get....
2000 Fleetwood Southwind 32V--deceased
2001 National RV Dolphin M-5332

angrybreadbox73

for a long time now i have used what is called royal purple motor oil it originally is for racing so it will be ideal suited for use i a generator and the engine wich is what i use i have noticed increase power and decrease fuel consumption with this oil.  your results may vary and this oil is available at most auto parts stores although it is very expensive and also there is two different kinds of this oil both jegs and summit racing have both kinds so my suggest is since the generators dont hold much oil try it there first and see how it performs for you
soo many bagos so little time

ClydesdaleKevin

If you change your oil as regularly as you should...every 100 hours for a generator and every 3000 miles for your engine, you can use ANY oil, even the cheapest stuff sold at Walmart.  Synthetics are too expensive in my opinion since, no matter what the bottle says, you should STILL change your oil at the above intervals, period.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.