Onan CCK 4.0kw Choke Adjustment

Started by MSN Member, December 13, 2009, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpy

Sent: 04/08/2008

My 4.0 cck runs great but the automatic /electric leaves a but to be desired.
It pulls the choke closed when you hit the starter and releases but will not release it back to full open.

I am assuming that it runs similar to the vehicle electric/thermal choke and the spring inside is a bit "tired" it is 75-80 degrees right now so I have just for the time loosened the set screw and have it full open all the time.

any advice on setting this for the upcoming colder weather would be appreciated. i would like to get my morning coffee ready before the big hunt without going outside to manually choke the thing.

On a side note I am thrilled at the quietness of this unit.

Mike

moparmotivator

Sent: 17/08/2008 

Ditto, my 6.5 does the same thing, starts great then almost drowns itself out before the choke finally opens up enough to let it run without flooding.

I have checked and adjusted everything the books says to do but it still does the same thing.

I thought about bypassing the automatic function and put a switch on the dash wired to the coil on the choke pull in solenoid.  Would work like a Johnson outboard then.

bluebird

Sent: 19/08/2008

Try not closing it all the way like the book says. It doesn't need full choke in the warmer weather. Make sure the coil is working correctly. Try applying voltage to the choke coil  and see how long it takes to open. Shouldn't be very long. I've had 2 older onans, and neither one liked a full choke. If you don't run it often it will have to turn over a bit to get it started though.
Chuck

denisondc

Sent: 20/08/2008

Ditto on what bluebird5750 said. The old 2.5kw LK units I have messed with all had the choke staying nearly -shut- after the engine started. To prevent plug fouling I start the genset from outside, and hold the choke partly open for 3 or 4 minutes. (After which I turn on the a.c. or whatever the load will be.) So far I havent had to do it in the rain, though occasionally in swarms of mosquitos. But then I only use that genset rarely - not even once each year.

And though I may not start it for a year or two, it always starts right up: After I use the handy little lever on its mechanical fuel pump to bring fuel up to fill the float bowl. When using the rope-start it takes 2 or 3 pulls.